What to use for rough start, etc.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd Quarles

Reaction score
I need everyone's solutions on a fuel additive. When I start my Trac from cold in the mornings, it shakes like crazy. Once I back out of the driveway and get started, it seems ok. THEN...it clatters on and off while driving down the road. This really aggravates me at 43,000 miles- my 2000 Explorer had 100,000 miles when I got rid of it and it had never made so much as a bad sound.

I use regular gasoline but I only buy from reputable places. I just can't afford premium because here lately, it's been running 28-30 cents per gallon more than regular.

I am considering selling the Trac and getting something else, but I don't want it to sound rough and noisy when prospective buyers might drive or ride in it either. It is a shame...I had wanted one ever since they came out in 2000 as 01 models, it took me 5 years to get where I could get one and now after 2 years it is much less than what I expected. No major problems- just too many small aggravations.

Using premium will solve/gain nothing with a 4.0L I would never use premium on anything that doesn't call for it to be used.. Try cleaning the TB and maybe doing the seafoam treatment. That helped alot with my rough starts and also my rough idling (altho it did come back maybe 3000 miles later) I do it every oil change and it seems to help alot. Also have your spark plugs checked out and maybe change the fuel filter or have it checked if it hasn't been that long since changed.

Last edited by a moderator: