What to haul to make ST's back end heavier

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth M

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Sport Trac, first time using it in the winter, and it is very light in the back end. What can I put in the back that would give me more weight. I know some put bags of sand, salt and even leave the back open to put snow in. Are there any things you can't put in the back that would make carrying it illegal? Having either patio stones or blocks against the law? If anyone has any suggestion please don't hesitate to reply. Thanks :grin:

I would not use salt unless you have it in a fool-proof container. It's heavy for it's size, but any salt that gets out will wreak havoc after a winter of mixing with melting snow and running into cracks and crevices.

I used to carry four 70lb bags of sand in my '04 ST's bed in the winter. Never had a problem with traction with them in the back.

Patio stones or blocks are going to slide around a lot and in the event of a crash or emergency braking could become projectiles, so I'd recommend not using them. Sand bags are probably the cheapest and safest. There's also a company that makes a rubber bladder that you fill with water to whatever weight you desire, link is below.

Thank you all for the replies. As for using my mother in law, it might work, since a coffin would be heavy enough. :bwahaha: Since she is buried far away LOL, I will use sand which most of you suggested.

With 4WD, I've never had a problem with traction in snow, with nothing at all in the bed.

Three bags of sand from Menard's. Crosslay between the wheelwells.

aa4748c82b98ed9704e3b6916cf886da.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i used to carry 6-8 bags of dirt each was 50 pounds..in the spring i would just throw it in the garden..

Latest posts