What the heck is wrong?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
In order to help solve my 0193 code (waiting on my new pressure sensor that should come next week) I attempted to remove my original fuel filter, in order to install a new one. Purchased a simple metal fuel disconnect tool?looks almost like scissors, with one end being the correct 3/8 size. The rear fuel line came off in about a minute of work, but the front line will not come off. I tried for hours. Used three different tools?including special plastic inserts. Went on line and found that I was using the same suggested tricks, like push line toward filter first, install tool, twist the filter, etc, etc.

What the heck is wrong?I really hate taking it to the dealer for something that should come right off.

:fire::banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same exact problem just a few weeks ago. I bought all different tools and tried all types of twisting and pulling. I got it to work by shooting the front (single line) of the fuel filter with PB plaster. I let it sit for a while. Then I used the aluminum disconnect tool. I think I got them at harbor freight. Finally came loose.

Try spraying penetrating oil/wd40 inside the connection. Really clean it out and let it sit for a while. It will come off, just takes the right pressure and right touch. The front one is always the tough one for me.

Good luck!

Use the new filter as a guide on which size tool you should use. The tool should fit the tube of the filter perfectly. The tool should also be just slightly larger that the stop on the filter, if it is too small it will not open up the spring retainer inside of the line sufficently enough to allow it to slide past the stop. Once you have the tool on the filter push the fuel line toward the filter and while holding the line in that position twist and push the tool into the line. Now while pulling and twisting the line back make sure that you keep pushing the tool towards the line and it should just slide right off.

the colored aluminum scissor ones were the only ones that worked for me. Got them from autozone.

I was using the 3/8 size, which is proper. I also tried placing some small strips of A/C tape on the inside section of the tool, which would expand the joint. Didn't work. I'll try using some WD40 or spray blaster...that I didn't do. This has got to be the most sucky option that Ford could have gone with. Also, my truck (which has never been touched in terms of the fuel filter) did not have any safety clips. Are they missing, or did Ford leave them off on purpose?

If you are talking about the 2 lines coming out of the rear of the filter. Those didnt come with the retainer clips like in previous years. They are built into the connection.

Mark, I'm asking about the safety retaining clips, that clip onto the outside of each fuel line. They look like a two inch "U" shape bracket, and clip over the inlet and outlet areas, hooking onto both the filter tubes and fuel lines. It's a secondary safety feature, and I expected to see them...instead I just see the two lines and filter. Just wondering if this is the correct way the vehicle came from the factory, or if it was an oversight.

Success! Here is what I did. I purchased an aluminum 3/8 tool, sprayed lube into both fittings, cleaned off the exterior of both lines of any lube so that I could have a tight firm grip, had a helper (son) hold the filter so that I could push/pull without the filter moving, pushed each line toward the filter while inserting tool as far as it would go, then started pulling the fuel line off as I continued to try and move the tool with the line. That way the tool stays under the clips until it meets the filter flange. I think the problem yesterday is that the filter kept moving and thus I wasn't able to keep the tool under the clips as far as it was needed.

Ford, stop calling this method "quick" disconnect.

Thanks everyone for the help...and info

Latest posts