What size Trailer?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I still want to buy a utility trailer and cannot decide on a size to get. I am borrowing a buddy's 7x12 single-axle and think it might be a little too big, even though it is about the perfect size. More info:

I will pull it with my '07 Trac V8 class II hitch. My dad will also use it on the farm for hauling rocks, limbs, etc., pulling it behind his pickup and tractor.

I figure a shorter trailer might be better for rough terrain up on the farm, and a narrower trailer might be better for going through gates and trees, etc.

Trailer dealer says that size doesn't matter and he would sell me anything I want. He has a huge stock. He only suggests that I should have him weld conduit underneath for the wires to the lights to protect the wiring off-road and to get a fold-up jack.

I don't really need the width of a 7 footer, the 6 foot width would accomodate what I want to haul (just less of it). However, the 12 foot would be better for hauling lumber, but I have concerns for the off-road portion that a 10-foot would be better. I really don't need the weight capacity of a dual axle trailer. I am just hauling lumber, limbs, trash, my JD garden tractor, mulch, etc.

My brother in law has a nice 7'x16' dual axle trailer, and it is a bit of a chore for my Trac to pull. My buddy's 7'x10' single axle is a much easier pull. I don't think I need a dual axle or anything real heavy, especially since I can borrow my brother in law's.

ANY ADVICE OR THOUGHTS HERE?

WHAT SHOULD I GET?

Width: 6' or 7 '?

Length: 10 ' or 12'

6x10

Even if you haul lumber, you can hang the 2 ft over the end without any issue. I assume you won't be buying anything longer than 12 ft?

But my 02 v6 doesn't have any issues pulling my 6x12 enclosed trailer, so I don't understand why your v8 would have issues with a utility trailer, regardless of size.

If the trailer has a fold up rear gate, he will not be able to hang the lumber off the back unless he sticks it up in the air.

I had mine built. 5x10' flooring with a 3500lb axle with electric brakes, and LED lights all around. Also, when I ordered the axle, I had the same lug pattern for the trailer as I have on the ST so I don't have to carry a spare all the time and can use the one on the ST if needed. I put my old OEM wheels off my Explorer on it.

af1e9c8c882d24402ae2adeeb0f77c98.jpg

119010252db2ef991e87852f04cc66aa.jpg

For me, I would decide what is the largest, heaviest thing you will ever carry and build/buy from there - unless you can manageably break it up into multiple loads. I thought about going to a 12', but I would have done tandem axles if I had, and I just really don't haul anything I need the extra 2' for. I've had a few 12' boards and just had them come to the front since I had a longer tongue made for it.

Whatever you get, I would definitely recommend getting electric brakes on the axles.

I have a 16' Flat bed trailer, 7400 gross trailer.

I would never consider anything smaller.

[Broken External Image]:

You can not believe how many odd jobs fall in your hands when you have a trailer that can be used for almost anything. This trailer has paid for itself 10 times over. I made $3,000 one week of having it.

Tom

I basically agree about the bigger one, but the OFF-ROAD use behind the tractor on the farm is what I am worried about. Will a longer one get hung-up going through a ditch? If it were just my trac and me using it, I would go for the 7x12. Since Dad will also be using it on the farm, I am worried about him hanging it up or getting a wide one caught going through a tight spot or gate.

I don't see weight as a factor-- I'm not hauling cars with it. If I have to haul a car or the big farm tractor, I'll rent a HD trailer with brakes, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 12' shouldn't be a problem for off-road farm use. You can also use a 3-point hitch drawbar to lower/raise the trailer tongue as needed for help getting through tight spots offroad with a tractor instead of the fixed drawbar.

Our family has used an International Harvester utlility road trailer (snow mobile trailer sized) since it was purchased new in the late 1970's for moving livestock around the farm (hand-build stained and varnished removable wood stock sides with a solid marine plywood ramp tailgate), hauling small equipment, seed corn, garbage, moving furnature, garden produce, boats, large machinery parts, tools, brush, field stones, fence posts, garden mulch, etc. It was originally pulled by an IHC Scout, but has been pulled equally well behind garden tractors, farm tractors, Mercury Bobcat, Ford Mustang II, Ford F-250, and Jeep Grand Cherokee. It also served as a resting spot for a slide-in truck camper when not in the truck, and with the truck camper on it, it could be pulled to the grain handling system to use as a mobile office to have a warm place out of the wind to eat lunch, use the grain moisture tester, etc. Buy quality, store it out of the weather, and it will last for decades. A solid floor will provide much more utility than the vented floor.

Latest posts