What should I do?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Need to change tranny fluid! Should I install new filter and just drain fluid out or have it "power flushed"? Trac has 200k. It was changed early in its life but not since. Thoughts?

if it were me, I'd do both - change the filter screen thing and have a full fluid flush. I'd service the transfer case and differentials, too, if they haven't been recently.

My transmission maintenance schedule is at a n50,000 interval (i.e., 50,000, 150,000, etc.), flush (transfer case and differentials, too) and at n00,000 (i.e., 100,000, 200,000, etc.) filter and flush.

225,000 miles with no problems (yet ...).

Yardsale, I was concerned that a full flush might dislodge something because of the pressure and give me problems that I don't have now.....??

Note: Some service centers use machines that add additional force to blast fluid and/or cleaning solution through the system.

This is NEVER a good idea as this can damage seals and/or lodge sludge in places it shouldn?t be as mentioned above.

Machines typically connect to the cooler lines. The line that connects your vehicles transmission to the cooler will be disconnected and attached to the machines line in. This will allow the cars fluids to drain into the machine. The line out from the machine then connects to your cars cooler. This allows the new fluid in the machine to be transferred into the vehicle. The transfer process only utilizes the pressure produced by the cars pump to circulate it, so no damage can be done to the internal parts of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ST got its first tranny flush at 125,000 miles. The fluid was still red in color and the tech said that, for my truck, it was safe to flush. They asked if I wanted a new filter and I decided against it. I had been having a slight 2-3 flair when driven for the first couple of miles when cold. After the flush, the flair is gone.

I have never seen or heard the term "power flush", just flush. As swshawaii notes, the transmission fluid pump (should) provide the pressure. Ask the provider how they perform the flush.

I have had mine flushed four times and, as noted, no problems (yet ...). Your mileage may vary ...

They use the BG PowerFlush machine at the Ford Dealer here. They also use some sort of BG Flush Fluid before flushing, and they add some sort of BG Transmission additive to the generic BG fluid that they put back in.

I won't let them touch my vehicles with this snake oil crap. I have them pull the pan, clean it out, install a new filter and gasket, and add Motorcraft fluid.

Here is info on the BG PowerFlush machine:

Ford dealer charged me $199 using the BG PF5 machine including 20 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V, filter, and gasket. No additives were used.

Dealer is a last resort for me. One other time was to have two PATS keys made after I bought the ST used, with only one key.

Only wanted Motorcraft Mercon V used, and the cost of materials alone was very close to the price of the complete service.

Latest posts