What should be my first upgrade for my 2001 ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought my 2001 ST and cant wait to fix it up but I need help. I can't decide what should be my first upgrade. I take the first upgrade very seriously so any and all help is needed in making this decision. Thanks ...

Jonathan - welcome! Don't you know these tracs are addicting and you will spend all your hard earned money on them???!!!!:lol::lol::lol: LOCK UP YOUR WALLET!!!!

It really depends upon what you want to do. Performance, suspension or looks ????? There are soooo many things that you can change. Just look at some of our profiles and you can see all that we have changed.

If it has stock shocks on it. Shocks. Choice depends upon whether you offroad or not. Next sway bars, Addco for the front and Explorer Express for the rear. You'll think you're driving a different truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site and take your pick on which upgrade to do. All the ones mentioned on this site are good. When they aren't, they are posted here pretty quickly. It all depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend. Trust me, money flows around the ST very easily.;)

Welcome to the site and SportTrac Aholics. I am Rodger and got my latest mod yesterday.

Rear sway bar from Explorer Express, front sway bar end links from AutoZone and rear 1-1/4" wheel spacers from eBay. Then do the shocks. After that do the intake, exhaust and SCT XCalibrator 2 tuner. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin, The spacers give the ST about a 2-1/2 wider stance for better handling. I am going on the recommendation of Todd Z & others. Do a site search on "wheel spacers" for more info. According to Todd you need to use the blue lock tight and torque them properly.

Doesn't the tuner require you to jump up in octane ratings? I thought the main improvement was stepping up compression, which requires more octane, which requires even more than our 60 dollars a fillup at the pump...and we know that it won't give higher gas mileage to offset the cost (even if it did, the right foot would negate it)

Plus the stupidity that the Xcal3 is bonded to one vehicle...makes me wary of using them.

Wheel spacers sound like a good idea though.

The Xcal isn't permanently "bonded", it just can only be used on one vehicle at a time. Otherwise, everyone and their brother would just buy one and share it. Its basically like copyright protection on DVD's, although I don't know of anyone that's hacked an Xcal.

Also, you will have a tune custom written for your truck and your mods to get the most out of it. The tuner doesn't raise your compression, it would require physical changes to the motor to do that. They typically modify fuel curves and timing advances, which could possibly require a different octane rating to prevent detonation. The tunes can be written for whatever octane you want to use, so you don't have to increase your fuel cost, although the most power will usually come from a 93 octane tune. On the flip side, you can have an economy oriented tune written to help save fuel.

Latest posts