What service/maintenance to do at 45K on used ST??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
I just bought an '02 Sport trac with 5-speed manual transmission from a dealer. I have no service records and it has 45k miles. Overall seems to be in great shape. I've never been very good keeping up with regular maintenance (except oil changes), but I would like to start. What should I have done, cleaned, or replaced???? Thanks!!

The factory maintenance guide posted by Olaf is good. Besides the oil, at 45k I would change the antifreeze and fuel filter if you're not sure that's been done. Antifreeze is supposed to be changed at 45k. Air filter if it looks dirty. At 60k you're supposed to change the lube in a manual tranny and t-case (if it's a 4x4) but it wouldn't hurt to do that early. The lube is just plain Mercon ATF (not Mercon V). I don't know about the tranny but the t-case is easy to do yourself with the help of a $9 suction gun to fill it. I'd get the spark plugs at some point around 50-60k only because if you leave them in until 100k like the manual tells you, they don't like to come out and sometimes take the threads with them when they do, which gets expensive.

New shocks if they look original.

Either make sure the axle(s) are full or just change the lube, the local Valvoline Qwicky-Lube here does it for $39.99 per, at that price it isn't worth my time to do it myself.

Take it Jiffy Lube they will take care of all this...........

Kidding.

There are threads about Jiffy Lube screwing people.

JT#14

I don't know how long you have had the Sport Trac, but I would do everything required by the 30K mile service as well as the 45K mile service.

Be sure to change all your fluids, flush the brakes, and coolant. Check all the belts and hoses, and the brakes pads for excessive or abnormal wear.

...Rich

Latest posts