What percent of Americans change their own oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm giving an informational speech for class on Friday on "How to change your own oil" and we're required to do research.

Does anyone know where I can find stats on how many people change their own oil, vs dealer, vs quick-lube place?

I'm already planning to use Bob the Oil Guy to show a difference in filters.

Jeff, I always change 100% of the oil...wait, what was the question? Be sure to include the procudue of "priming the filter" in your speech. Nothing worse that putting on a dry filter and starting the engine...ok, well except for forgetting to put in oil or installing the drain plug, etc.:rolleyes:

Man, I did a "google" search and there isn't anything there (did find an interesting article on the oil prices and why the oil companies are showing a huge profit:D). Maybe do a poll on here and that can be used as a base. It won't be a "whole country" type ratio, but it would be a certain vehicle ratio.

I for one always change my own. That way I know what was put in there.:D;)

most oil change places I managed in VIOC did an average of 100- 500 cars a week... some more.

Take all the fast lubes in the USA and multiply by 400. then call every registered repair shop and add that up, .. then minus that from every car owner and your done.... :D:D

I have no clue on that stat, but i am sure there are best guesses out there...

Type up a questionaire and ask people. Try to ask 50 or 100 people for easy percentages. You could post simple questions as a topic here and I'm sure a lot of us will answer. Ask classmates. You will have to diversify the people you ask because the majority here will say that they change their own oil.

Interviewing is research, I do it all the time for school.

statistics class! i wanted to rip my hair out! but C is right, you can conduct your own research on the matter. this would be accurate for your area

ok...I found you some numbers that you can begin to extrapolate with:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dshm/redrecy/oil.pdf

http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2002/bts027_02.html

Take the numbers from the websites and compare them to the total sales of oil and sales of oil to/by oil change places...the thought being what is thrown out must be replaced. You can then get a general rough percentage of oil sales that are used by do-it-yourselfers and by industry.

Having written 100s of papers getting my degree in History, Logistics, and my MBA, having some numbers is better than nothing. Lack of data is always a problem. However, if you have anything, you can always re-write the paper and/or hypothesis to say whatever you want it to with a little logic thrown in.

I have been doing mine for the last 48 years. I have had it done 3 times and they buggered it up all 3 times. Have 5 autos. Bill

i did mine once... screw it. I would rather pay some guy to do it in the freezing cold while i watch him and drink a coffee.

Latest posts