What makes Ford different?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Ohnsman

Reaction score
We read of Chrysler and GM in line for government bailouts but not Ford. Not that I'm dissapointed to see this, but I'm curious... what is it that Ford is doing differently so as not to be in line with a hand out for government money?

Here's an interesting article. I figure more people will flock to the company that isn't taking tax money away. I hope Ford will sell more vehicles and start profiting before the other 2.

I feel that that also have watched the market trends and put enough small fuel effieient vehichels into their lineup; as well as made their quality and safety top notch. Chrystler does not have a small fuel efficient vehicle in their line up, and GM's has not kept their quality up. JMO

Plus Ford restructured their debt and obtained credit lines before the shiite hit the fan. They can borrow money if needed in the private sector.

Remember back about 4-5 years ago when Bill Ford stepped down as CEO of Ford. He never wanted to be the CEO, but stepped in long enough to get the family buisness back on track. Under his guidance, the company started to go back to the basics and started building smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient vehicles.

Since Trucks is where Ford really makes its bread and butter it has continued to keep the truck lines moving while improving the quality of all their vehicles. Not that their engineering quality is up to the standards of the japanese or Germans, but is probably a little better than GM and Chrysler.

I think Bill Ford got Ford moving in the right direction at least 5 years before GM and Chrysler saw the writing on the wall. Remember the plant closings and consoslidations that took place at Ford over the past 5 years. That is what GM and Chrysler are facing now. The bigesst mistake that Ford has made is their poor warranty service which I think is a reflection of their comittment to save money, and the dealerships are at the front line trying to save money because they are loosing a lot of money that they cannot afford to lose.

Yes Ford is bleeding a lot of money for now, but if they can make it work, they will be money ahead when the economy turns around since they have a good 5 year headstart.

...Rich

When Mulally grabbed the reins of Ford a few years back he saw what was coming and started borrowing and setting up lines fo credit...looks like it has paid off for them so far.

Ford is different in not taking the funds for now for a couple of reasons. One, they started their downsizing and depleating and combining all areas of their businesses. 5 or 6 years ago, (not at the last minute)

They shut down proving grounds, sold them (Gm/Crysler bought some of them for sure,)

Ford made decisions to shut down plants and consolodated plants, sold off makes, that would bring them back to basics and roots. Their CEOs, at least 2 of them, have not taken their pays, (one of them Being Bill Ford himself, the other, the Boeing guy in place now) by doing this helped give funds to keep things running and put money back into the business. (smart move)

I, personally,have not heard of GM or Crysler CEOs making the choices to not take their pay.

Ford was thinking further down the road than GM and Crysler, in my opinion and by them doing that, kept them from having to take the funds. However, that could change after a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the above also I've read that Ford's overseas operations are very profitable, more so than GM and Chrysler's.

But then I thought I got a deal buying Ford stock at $2.60 in November, last I looked it was $1.60.

Ford may be the last man standing when the dust settles. I'm proud of how they took their medicine before it became fashionable to do so.

Top Ford Execs Take 30 Percent Pay Cuts

DETROIT (Feb. 25) - Hourly workers at Ford Motor Co. will get yet another round of buyout and early retirement offers, and the company's top two executives will take 30 percent pay cuts as Ford tries to find a way out of the worst auto sales slump in 26 years.

Chief Executive Alan Mulally and Executive Chairman Bill Ford Jr. will see the salary reductions this year and next, according to a memo obtained by The Associated Press.

In addition, local union leaders were told Tuesday that the company will make buyout or early retirement offers to all 42,000 U.S. hourly workers. The offers are part of a series of contract concessions in a tentative agreement reached between the United Auto Workers and the company, according to two union officials briefed on the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts