What length enclosed trailer do you tow?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Gau

Reaction score
Im looking to purchase an enclosed v nose aluminum trailer to haul the snowmobiles around. The lengths of interest to me are 14 + 5 v nose, 16 + 5 v nose or 18 + 5 v nose. The trailer itself will be around 2,000 lbs and the cargo weight I would be hauling would be 600-1800lbs. The trailer will have electric brakes. Anyone have any input. Looking at R&R, NEO & Legend Trailers. Next year I will be moving into a full size truck & will have no issues towing then. Thanks!

If your moving to a full size truck next year, I would get the trailer I wanted this year even if i had to struggle towing for a year, I tow a regular 12 foot enclosed with 2 sleds no problem with the v8 adrenalin. Prepare yourself for next year that way you dont have the " i should have bought the bigger one next year" Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have one of these to haul my Vette. (10 years ago) I like the way Haulmark built their stuff, over the 3-4 choices I had back then. I only paid 4k for it... Whish I still had it...

[Broken External Image]:

I have an 18 ft V-nose from Covered Wagon and I have no problem towing it with my 07 Sport Trac LTD 4x4 V8. I went with the torsion bar suspension and it tows like a dream. Although you cannot see it in the photo, I also went with the option to add a ramp door in the curb half of the V-nose which is a really nice feature if you have snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. I also went with a 6" higher than stock roof height so I could haul my lifted 75 Bronco. I'm guessing I will need a slightly bigger tow rig if and when I ever attempt that one.

Over the Labor Day weekend I hauled my 99 Cobra from Akron, OH to west central PA, about 160 miles. The hills along I-80 in PA were a bit of a challenge but I was still passing semis going up most of them. I then used it to haul several loads of furniture from one house to another while in PA during the same weekend.

[Broken External Image]:

I towed a V-Nose with my 2001 up to Gaspe' last year. I two sleds and gear along with 4 people and clothes in the truck. Did fine and I have 197,000 miles. Also, I'm old fart and not one that drives 90mph towing either. Most especially in the snow.

I normally tow two sleds in a clam shell. The V offered several advantages but to me not worth the extra weight and cost. I hated the sinking rear door and ramp. Was hard to open with ice and snow from towing and hard to close if snow got into the door hing. Of course the clam shell can be a PITA too. I just know how to handle.

I pull a 23' Wellcraft Fisherman(about 5k lbs) with no problems. The STA actually will pull the boat at idle.

Gauman, I thought you said you were buying a full size? An F-Series or any other full-size truck should be able to tow anything a V-8 Trac can...

I pull a 22' RV which weighs in at #3800(actually weighed on a scale), when loaded for a week of camping. You know it's there, but it's very doable. So the ST is up to the task. The weak point is the tranny, so an extra tranny cooler is a real good thing to have when pulling that weight. I have pulled a #6000lb boat/trailer combo too, but not for any distance(and I don't think I would want to!).

Not sure about the trailers you are talking about though, as I have no experience with them. However, the V front should pull better than the flat front of my RV.

I tow my motorcycle clubs 24 ft Haulmark trailer locally around Dallas. It's all my V8 can handle because of the 96 inch width and it's not a V-nose so that doesn't help either. We bought this trailer 6 yrs ago and it's held up really well. We have probably put 40K miles on it and maybe more.... we are looking to buy a 16 + 5 or 18 + 5 V-nose next yr and will probably stick with Haulmark.

[Broken External Image]:

I go to pick up the trailer next weekend. With all the comments I feel the V-6 Trac should have no problem towing it. Thanks for the feedback. Think snow!

[Broken External Image]:

You wont have any problem towing that little weight. It will definitely slow it down but the gen 1s are capable of towing 5k pounds or so. With the tranny cooler that comes in the towing package and the trailer brakes it'll also be able to stop the trailer. I agree you should get the trailer you want since you're getting a full size next year.

Latest posts