What is the longest lasting All Terrain tire in a size 18?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Chio

Reaction score
I have had Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/60/18 for a little over a year now. I have driven them in Colorado in the winter through the summer. I have also driven them cross country into Alabama from late last summer until now. I am almost thoroughly pleased and satisfied with the overall performance and mannerisms of these tires in the various conditions and scenarios (to include mud, gravel, and small hill climbs) I have subjected them to while demanding and expecting the performance level inherent with their name. The only downfall of these tires is the reason I posed the aforementioned question. I understand that this question may be a little subjective but any and all input is greatly appreciated.

-Los

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont need a dedicated off road tire. The BFG Long Trails are long wearing, good ride. Will take some off road. Priced very well also.

I have the 265/60-18 on my trac. I will most likley buy the same again.

I occasionally hit the dirt enroute to some mountain bike trailhead but nothing too extreme. How wide are your rims? Are the tires quiet? Price?

The BFG Long Trails are long wearing, good ride.

I had them on my 1st gen Trac for about 5 years. Was so happy with them, I put them on my wifes Explorer.

Put them on at 136,000 miles at at 189,000 they still have plenty of tread left. This is on her Explorer.

We have not done any serious offroading with it, but have been on the beach in Wilmington, NC and the mud in southern Ohio and never had an issue with traction. We live in NE Ohio and never had an issue with winter weather.

When the tires on the Trac were worn not, 2002 4x2 heavy footed driver, I went with Cooper tires. So far, they seem nice, but can not make any reccomendations for a while.

If the cooper were the same price as the BFG's, I would have gotten the BFG over the Coopers.

Tom

Long trails are a highway/off road tire. The KO's seem more like a Off road only tire.

Tom

Carlos, my wheels are the Enkie RT-6. 18 by 8.5" wide..Pic in my library. My next set will be blackwall.

Yes, very nice Eddie. I have seen your set up before and have admired it. I was just curious about your wheel dimensions in regard to the 265s. I have read other people's accounts regarding T/A KOs feeling more surefooted and stable than the competition. I wonder do yours behave the same way?

Carlos, the bfg long trail is very sure footed. I have my rev limiter and mph limiter removed. Had them up to 118mph. Very secure at speed. Resonable price also.

Another tire that performs simular and priced well. Is the yokohama geolander ht/s. I had them on another suv. Had them over 100mph. Friends have them on their trucks and suvs'. Cost average $15 more than the bfg long trail per size.

Actualy it may be a toss up when I need new tires. I would buy either one. If you have discount tire near you. Go compare the two. IMO, you cant go wrong with either tire.

Both will take mild offroading. You can see by the tread pattern. But the tread pattern is geared toward highway also. So they are queit and track well. Both wear well.

BFG Longtrail is an excellent tire. Used them in several different applications, never disapointed. Good stuff.

Latest posts