What is the 2/3 flair issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal Britten

Reaction score
I am looking at a '01 with 72K miles on it. I read on here where they were talking about the 2/3 flair issue with the tranny. What is it and how or can I check for it? Also I am looking at paying in the neighborhood of $9300 for the ST and it is pretty loaded up, leather and such. Any opinions on that price? Thanks.

CDB - the 2/3 flair is when the transmission shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd. Think of it as second does not want to let go before going into third. The engine will race slightly and then it shifts. Take it for a ride and make sure you take it on the highway where you can hit it a bit to get up to speed.

The price seems about right for that mileage and year but I'm sure something like bluebook would give you a number.

Oh, okay they...offer then 8.5k

I had a '04 4x4 ST with 32k miles that you can probably get for 17 or 18K if you want to drive to PA....I traded it in in April and it still sits on the dealers lot.

TJR

Little out of the way from Las Vegas there TJR. However, the drive would probably be worth it to get out of here! We are pretty close to the same page on the offer. I offered $8700.

This is from a post I made earlier this week: I have a 2001 Trac that has been suffering from the 1-2 slip for the past 6 months. I finally brought it in to a very honest shop for their evaluation. The shop owner Kenny (Kenny's transmission, Baton Rouge, LA) said there were no codes stored and suggested that he service the tranny (fluid, filter & gasket) and he said he talked to a buddy at the Ford dealership that said there is an updated program for that tranny, so he also flashed the computer. I do not exaggerate when I say this, but my truck shifts so smoothly now you almost have to look at the tach to know that its shifted gears. I was very impressed and glad that I didn't have to rebuild the tranny. Oh, by the way, I have 108,000 miles on my truck. Hope this might help someone. I'm afraid a lot of people are being taken to the bank by dealerships and dishonest tranny shops who are replacing transmissions that don't need to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

KBB

Excellent Condition

$9,790

Vehicle Highlights

Mileage: 72,000

Engine: V6 4.0 Liter

Transmission: Automatic

Drivetrain: 2WD

Latest posts