What is done at a "weigh" station?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
I'm renting a Penske 22 ft truck & car carrier for my move from KS to TN. I notice on the info it says "You are required to enter all weigh and/or agricultural stations" What is that & what is the procedure? Do we stop & all exit the vehicle? Do I have paper work to fill out? About how long does it take? Is there a lot of those type stops along the way? Just curious, This is all new to me:)

A weigh staion is usually set up by the state DOT or federal DOT. You'll find them every so often along the interstate. Depending on how many trucks are ahead of you, you might be there a while. They make sure the truck is not overweight, your shipping papers match your cargo ( shouldn't apply to you since it's a rental ) A weigh station is more for tractor trailers to make sure the're in working order. The'll check the lights, brakes, proper license. If they want to keep you there all day and start taking apart the truck they could. For a rented truck you should be ok. I have seen automated weigh stations where trucks pull onto a ramp, get weighed, and then leave.If the GVWR is over 10,000 LBS I'm pretty sure you require a CDL (comercial driver's license) You should ask Penske who pays the violations if the truck itself has defeciencies.

They also check to see that the weight is in the right place, right amount is on the trailor axles & on the tractor axles. I don't think you'll have to stop either. I am sure the laws have changed since I was a kid but whe moved back to Illinois from Texas and my parents rented a box truck(a big moving van) and I think as long as it doesn't have air brakes you don't have to have a CDL.

Drive past a weigh station in a rental truck and I'm sure a crazed state trooper will pump his shotgun and come after you thinking that you're rental is filled with diesel and furtilizer. Trust me - you need to stop.

Most states require rental trucks to go through the weigh stations. You will simply pull in, and follow the signs to drive through the lane that says "loaded". The lane will weigh the truck, and unless it is over weight, you will get a green light to continue without any further checks. You can be directed to secondary checks at the discretion of the operators, where they will check equipment and documents. If your drivining with a regular license, you won't need any documents. You are only required to have a commercial drivers license if the truck you rent has a gwvr of more than 26,000 pounds, or you are towing a trailer that weighs more than 10,000 pounds (unlikely). There are other exceptions (hazardous material & such), but again this is not likley for the typical household move. Have a good move.

Zeke

I moved from CT to SC driving a 26 footer pulling an f-150. I never stopped at a 1. No problems. Check with your rental Co. and if still in question call the states DOT you plan to pass thru. I was told by Budget Rental trucks do not apply only commmercial carriers.

Most all of the weigh stations are a rolling system. You never actually stop. You drive accross the scale at the posted speed limit. If the light turns red, then you stop.

Many of the stations check for radition now, that is another reason box type trucks are now required to pull thru as opposed to past years.

Even at solid waste areas they are checking for radiation.

In Ohio, your vehicles empty weight or total number of axles will determine if you have to stop; if you do have to stop and pass by, you will be chased down & day made much longer, as the vehicles that pass by are not only scrutinized more, but the driver will receive a citation for not stopping (4511.12 ohio rev. code; fail to comply with traffic control device).

I drove moving trucks from PA to FL twice. On both occasions, I pulled off at every weigh station that was open. Some have vague signs that say all trucks must exit... while others are very specific that even rental trucks must stop. In most of the weigh stations on I95 there is an arrow that tells you which lane to be in and in almost all cases, they signaled me to the bypass lane. This all added maybe one or two minutes to my trip... well worth the peace of mind. The only weigh station I had to actually stop at and show my license and describe my cargo was at the agricultural checkpoint coming into FL.

I don't recall needing a CDL for a hazmat license. That could vary state to state, but it is possible to transport hazmat in a regular pickup which won't require you to have a cdl.

Weigh Stations are only for Commercial Trucks.

I wrote some Independent Trucking software for an Owner/Operator in Canada a few years ago, at the same time my son-in-law had his own truck and was driving as an independent for trucking company were he had previously worked.

They check the weigh to ensure the rig is not over weight

They may also conduct a check of the bill of lading, and the drivers log book.

The can also measure the vehicle's overall length. Some states restrict the length of the tractor-trailer comination. Some trucks have adjustable fifth-wheels that can be moved forward or backwards to change the total vehicle length. Driver's prefer the trailer shifted back as far as possible because it makes the steering lighter and less tiring on long hauls.

Most of these checks are required only when the weigh station is open. Some companies with good records can purchase transpondors and you will see an antennea over the road to pick up the vehicles ID and they can access the load, destination, and driver info over their computer system.

Also some states require that you show proof that you bought fuel in their state, or you have to pay a tax to the various counties that you passed through. I think that is like a road use tax.

...Rich

r1ch9999

Yes you must have a CDL to transport Hazmat, even in a pickup truck, the CDL laws are uniform in the US (and all of North America), they have been since the late 80's. Each state has it's own equipment laws to a point, but the drivers licenses have to be uniform. Breifly you need a CDL to drive any vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR, (except some 'housecars" read motorhome) any vehicle carrying hazmat (those definitions take about 300 pages to clarify) and anyone towing trailers over 10,000 lbs GVWR. The confusion comes because not all commercial vehicle require a CDL to drive. For example all rental trucks are commercial vehicle by definition, but unlesss it meets the above requirenments, you do not need a CDL to legally drive it. Each state has its own regulations for weigh stations (more properly called commercial vehicle check stations), and those rules can vary for stations in the same state, for example most stations at borders have different rules than those elsewhere.

Again most states now require rental trucks to "stop", and there is no harm in going through if not required, but if you bypass one that was required and get caught, the fines are huge.

Zeke

Yes you must have a CDL to transport Hazmat, even in a pickup truck, the CDL laws are uniform in the US (and all of North America), they have been since the late 80's.

That is not entirely true. I used to transport Radioactive sources and I was not required to have a CDL, unless it was a Class III shipment. If it was Class I or Class II, a regular drivers licence was the only thing required. It didn't matter if I traveled within a state or across state lines. The only roads I had to worry about were toll roads. Some I had to just call and ask them for permission to travel on those roads. Never any hassle. A radioactive source is considered a Hazzardous Material. Any roads that prohibited "HazMat" I was not allowed to drive through without permission.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonka!,

Kinda of off topic, !

When you get to Tennessee, look me up on this site, cause I kind of consider your trac to be what my trac wants to be when it grows up!!!

P.S...Your trac is/was my screen saver!!!:)

Caymen

Like I said, the Hazmat regulations are the most complex of the CDL rules. Particullarly those that apply to radioactive materials. Generally, if the load requires a placard (those are determined by the rule in the code of federal regulations) then the operator of the vehicle is required to have a CDL with a Hazmat endorsment. You can get a CDL with a Hazmat endorsment, and still not be licenced to drive vehicles over 26,000 lbs. Many pesticide operators, and people who use small quantities of some radioactive materials, as well as many blasting operators have to pass the CDL test and the Hazmat test, and are still only licensed to operate small trucks. To make maters more complex, there is nothing in the Hazmat regulations that prevent an entity from making regulations more strict that the Federal regs, so the operator of a tollway, bridge, tunnel etc, can prohibit materials in addition to those restricted by other laws.

While I am no longer in the business of transporting hazardouds material, I have shipped many hundreds of thousands tons of hazardous materials in a variety of modes both domestically, and internationally, and I learned a couple of things. First, the rules are always changing, and even the regulators don't always know the latest rule, and it is always better to try to adhere to any posted regulation, as the you are more likely to avoid trouble than if you try to educate the person with the athority to fine you.

I simply think it is easier for some one with a rental vehicle to go through open weigh stations, than to try to prove later that they were not required to. I am sure Uhaul will not pay any fines if they get one. I also know that here in So Cal, all the weigh stations have signs posted that state that all rental trucks must enter any open weigh station.

Zeke

Zeke,

Yes, Class III requires placards, while Class I and II do not. They are still considered Hazmat. Go figure.

If we had a source that was actually a Class III shipment, we packed lead around it to bring it to a Class II and it was totally legal.

Tom