What is a Crossover?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part mini-van, part SUV.

They are the latest thing because for many you can drive one and feel better about yourself...having kept up with the Jones', not actually being in a "soccer mom's" mini-van, and no longer called an inconsiderate boob for driving a gas-hogging SUV. ;)

Seriously though, crossovers have a lot of versatility and function, but not so much more than a mid-size SUV, or an AWD mini-van. They are the flavor of the month for many and the hope of auto makers who are hoping to findi people "move down" from large SUVs, or "over" from mini-vans, or "up" from smaller sedans. The auto makers are literally hoping the name holds and that people "cross over" into this new "style" of vehicle.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, yeah.

It's really a made up term, but others may consider them more like

part wagon, part SUV.

Richie18,

Right, but what's a wagon anyway? Station wagons got replaced by the mini-van, the mini-van by the SUV, now the crossover is trying to replace them all. When I say "replace", I don't mean "entirely replaced". Moreso I mean "replaced" as in replaced the previous as the new status symbol for suburban yuppies to be driving.

TJR

To build on what TJR already said...

A Crossover is not a body on frame design like an SUV. It is uni-body constructuion and FWD or AWD.

Same thing as an SUV, but more politically correct.

Tom

I't basicly a small SUV built on a car chassis. For the past few years, SUV is a bad word and crossover is just another word for a smaller vehicle that has replaced the SUV.

...Rich

Regarding the descriptions of "SUV-type body" and "small SUV"; I've never understood that line of thinking. If it truly where a small SUV, or had an SUV-type body, wouldn't it be a midsize SUV or a compact SUV?

The Escape is a "small SUV". The Edge is a crossover When I see the Escape I think "mini Explorer". When I see the Edge I don't think or see that at all.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong in calling them mini-SUVs. Heck, the industry adds to the confusion by using the terms mid-size SUV and crossover synomously. Before hybrid meant gas/electric powered these vehicles were called hybrids for a while when there was only a few.

Do a google search for: Midsize SUV, and compact SUV, ...you are likely to find a crossover in each.

Also, if you haven't noticed, larger SUVs have become wider in wheelbase and shorter (Jeep and Chrysler models especially) further bluring the lines between crossovers and SUVs.

So, I guess a crossover is a type of SUV, but to me, they don't look like SUVs.

TJR

They are the latest thing because you can drive one and feel better about yourself...having kept up with the Jones', not actually being in a "soccer mom's" mini-van, and no longer called an inconsiderate boob for driving a gas-hogging SUV.

I like my Edge. It doesn't make me "feel better about myself" or it doesn't make me feel like I am "keeping up with the Jones'". I do however enjoy getting better gas mileage then the ST and Explorer that I owned but I would think any person in this economy would want better gas mileage. I wanted a smaller, faster vehicle with all wheel drive because I live in a city that gets over 150 inches of snow a season. I also liked the size of the moon roof just as I liked the full sliding rear window in the ST. So you see, there are many other reasons why I picked my Edge other then making myself feel better about keeping up with the Jones'.

Some things never change here I see....

Fmarano,

If the shoe doesn't fit you, don't wear it.

Still, it doesn't negate the fact that today's crossover is the new soccer mom status-symbol mobile.

I know a lot of people that dumped their paid-off SUV for a new car payment and a crossover, just to get 5mpg better gas mileage around town. Many of them did it only to keep up with the Jones' and to get the next great thing.

Again, if that ain't you, then you have no reason to protest.

Sorry if I upset anyone about my characterization. The crossover, IMHO, isn't something new. Just a change in taste, not needs. Needs rarely change. But people's taste and desires change. Most didn't know they "needed" a crossover until Madison Ave told them they did.

Hey, I even have one myself (Chrysler Pacific) and I am happy with it...even though it is a cheap version that pales in comparison to some of the higher-end crossovers.

TJR

I'm not protesting. You stereotyped everyone who drives a cross-over. It's amazing how you could stereotype a group of people who drive a certain vehicle from the actions of one or two people that you know.

My wife drives a Toyota crossover (Rav 4). To me the crossover represents an SUV type body on a car chassis. Most SUV's drive like a truck and do not handle well. Today's crossovers drive more like an automobile but still has more room and better access than a sedan. And of course, better gas mileage. I for one am glad to see them. They don't take up 2 parking spots like the big SUV's.

Fmarano,

It wasn't mine intent to stereotype everyone driving a crossover. I will update my original post and hopefully it will make you happy.

TomT,

You actually make my point about the confusion. The Rav4 was called a small (or compact) SUV before there ever was the name "crossover". I agree the Rav4 is a small SUV. The Rav4 looks like a small SUV.

To me, the main difference between a small or compact SUV and a crossover is the looks. Crossovers look more short, squat, wide, and wagon-like while small and compact SUVs look taller, narrower, and more like a miniature SUV.

But again, this is all just my bias. I don't consider a crossover to be a SUV. I consider it to be a cross between an SUV and a car/wagon/mini-van. There already were mini and compact SUVs before there were crossovers (case in point, the Rav 4).

But like I said, that's just me. The industry likes to call them SUV and make them part of the SUV market when convenient, and also say they are NOT SUVs when it serves a different purpose (wiggling away from the SUV bashers).

Isn't marketing grand?

TJR

Fmarano,

Already updated. My intent wasn't to stereotype everyone. And, yes, my post is what it is. I stand by it. Many people buy a crossover because it is the new great thing.

I submit there really isn't anything completely new there in function or versatility...just new in style. That doesn't make it bad.

People can spend money on what they want. If I made anyone feel bad about that, I am sorry.

P.S. I guess I should have put a smiley after my original post, because I was saying it half-jokingly. Funny that some laughed and saw that. Other's, as many do, considered the worst in people.

TJR

I agree. Crossover is a term that everybody interprets differently. To me it comes down to handling. (Does it drive like a truck or a car?) But to others it might mean something else.

Latest posts