What do billionaires drive?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Munday

Reaction score
We've all wondered what we'd do if we ever came into a lot of money; the houses we'd buy and the cars we'd drive. So what do those that actually have <a hreaf="http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/toptens/billionaire2006/01-billionaires.html" target="top">bunches of money drive</a>? You might be surprised...:

Bill Gates ($50 billion)- 1999 Porsche 911 Cabriolet; 1988 Porsche 959

Warren Buffet ($42 billion)- 2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

Ingvar Kamprad ($28 billion)- 1993 Volvo 240 GL

Paul Allen ($22 billion)- 1988 Porsche 959; 1988 Mazda B-series

Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud ($20 billion)- Infiniti FX45; Hummer H1; Volvo XC90; Rolls-Royce Phantom; Daewoo Matiz

Michael Dell ($17.1 billion)- 2004 Porsche Boxster; 2005 Hummer H2

Lawerence Ellison ($16 billion)- 2006 Bentley Continential Flying Spur 2006 Bentley Continental GT

Jim Walton ($15.9 billion)- 2002 Dodge Dakota Pickup; 2000 Acura Integra; 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport; 1999 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup; 1959 Cadillac

Alice Walton ($15.7 billion)- 2006 Ford F150 King Ranch

Steven Ballmer ($13.6 billion)- 1998 Lincoln Continential

A stark contrast to the Top 10 Most Appealing list posted a few days ago.

What may be interesting is that IF most of these people WEREN'T raised with this type of financial "stability" it may be a partial explanation. I know some weren't.

Spiff,

You're exactly right. To be honest, I like to salivate over $80 and $100,000 cars. However, when it came to cutting that check or handing over the pile of cash, I doubt I ever could. There's so many investments money can serve. A car is such a terrible one. And, in reality, a nice car does not have to cost a lot of money.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be scared to take a $100,000 car to the K-mart parking lot. If I ever spent that much on a car, K-mart would be the most expensive place I'd be able to shop.

In the case of Paul Allen, his <a href="http://www.yachtcrew-cv.com/paulallen.htm" target="top">yacht</a> was a huge splurge. If I had that, I wouldn't be on land enough to even use a car.

However, when it came to cutting that check or handing over the pile of cash, I doubt I ever could.
...I know what you mean, Adam...I just paid $4500 for new windows and that was a painful check to write, even though I know it is a sound investment and it will save us money, and last a lifetime....well just hard to part with I guess.:wacko:

My dad is a financial consultant, specializing in helping wealthy folks keep their estates away from the government and get it to their families and other desired places. He says that "Rich people didn't get that way by throwing their money away".

Tip: If you have a rough idea of what your estate tax (if any) will be, buy a separate life insurance policy for that amount. Life insurance is not taxable to the recipient. The policy pays the tax and your heirs get your stuff free and clear.

And, how accurate is that list? I can attend first hand Bill Gates drives a F430 Silver. I've seen him Starbucks in my neighborhood since I live very close to Microsoft.

And, yes they drive whatever they want.

One of my clients is not a Billionaire but his net worth is close to 1B. He has 50 cars in his collection valued at over 35 Million. His least expensive car is a 1965 Original AC Shelby Cobra. Valued at 165K. The paint alone was 35K. His daily driver is a F430.

I dunno SST, it was posted on Forbes a few days ago. I thought I had included a link, but I must've missed it.

Gates may be driving a 430, but does he own it?

SST,

Actually, it could be a loaner. Some companies, or representitives of companies, want the public to see high-profile people in their product, so they loan or give them use to their product. It's win-win, the high-profile person keeps his money and the company gets exposure.

I don't know any billionaires, but my millionaire brother drives this. The Z-71 is his work truck and he bought his wife an H3 last year for her birthday. I think he should buy me a Lotus Elise when I retire from the Air Force. :wub:

He bought it for himself on his 40th birthday. The ST, of course was mine. It was the first ST, not the Mars Rover :)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts