What could this be?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Delaney

Reaction score
I stopped at a stop sign and made a right turn through a dip and heard a big clunk on the left front side. Not sure if it could have been a CV, shock.....?:banghead:

Could be a number of things. Sway bar end links are commonly among the first parts to fail. Lift the tires with stands under the forward facing lower control arm hooks and inspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the wheels were turned to lock, it may it may be the steering stops (a protrusion from the lower control arm and a shallow recess on the knuckle). If so, a dab of grease will fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your body mount bushings, mine was doing the same thing, very prominent clunk right under the floorboard on the driver side, very obvious when turning right. Right turn puts stress on right sway bar end link so I wouldn't think that would be the case but could be wrong...

The most common problem for clunks, scraping and loud screeching sounds when turning and hitting a bump/dip is the steering stops are dry creating a loud metal on metal screech or groan.

Steering stops are just metal protrusions that limit how far the wheels can be turned left or right. The steering stops contact a portion of the cross member and when the suspension flexes going over a bump, driveway, etc it creates a loud metal on metal screech or groan sound.

The cure is to simply put a dab of chassis grease on the steering stop contact points so that the metal on metal contact points slide smoothly and the screeching and groaning sound is eliminated.

...Rich

Latest posts