What are they thinking...Wake Up congress!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
Getting more in bed with China........and it ain't good.

what in the world is going on "on the hill"?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

I posted that link a few days ago...

Didnt get much discussion...

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't sending money to China a good thing? It creates jobs for the Chinese. They have extra money to buy cars, steel, copper, gasoline, and anything else they need.

Of course, they make our costs go up, but we are saving so much money.

Tom

Big Al...better keep an eye out for the CFL enforcers!!! And may I suggest you delete your admission from this site?

:eek::angry::lol:

Had a CFL go out last night. Thinking about tossing it into my neighbors trash. Or on his driveway. Thought briefly about taking a shotgun to it. Still thinking about it. Maybe I'll just box it up with a note telling them it's dead and let the .gov know what I think of their rediculous regulations. They should know how to dispose of it properly. I'll send it the same time I send my 5,000 plastic bags to Gavin Newsom, Mayor of San Fransisco.

Hopefully, more Constitutionally-minded heads will prevail on this issue...

Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned

Congressman doubts China imports answer to U.S. energy crisis

Posted: June 19, 2008

By Alyssa Farah

WASHINGTON – Members of Congress are beginning to have second thoughts about the ban on incandescent light bulbs effective in 2014 as a result of an energy bill signed into law earlier this year.

Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, says his objection is very basic – the Constitution doesn't authorize Congress to do anything remotely like banning a product that has been used safely and efficiently for more than 100 years in favor of Chinese-imported compact fluorescent light bulbs that pose considerable health and safety risks.

Poe cited the dangers associated with CFLs, which carry small amounts of mercury that can enter the environment through breakage and disposal. He also objected to reliance on the CFL alternatives when, currently, all are made in China.

"Congress passed an energy bill that should be called the anti-American non-energy bill because it punishes Americans for using energy when it should be finding new sources of available energy," Poe stated.

From the floor of the House, Poe addressed the dangers of the CFL bulbs, explaining the extensive cleanup required by the Environmental Protection Agency for simply breaking a bulb. When a bulb, which contains mercury, is broken, according to the EPA, the room must be evacuated for 15 minutes and aired out with windows, but not before all glass is removed, placed in a sealed glass jar and disposed of outside. Any remaining glass must be picked up with tape. In addition, central heating or air conditioning units must be turned off.

This is what the EPA officials say about light bulbs they want the public to use.

In addition, the bulbs cause photographs to fade and can interfere with radio signals, television and remote controls, according to Poe.

"Madam speaker, I have a Constitution here, like most members of Congress," Poe said. "I carry it with me, I've read it through and through but I don't see anywhere in the U.S. Constitution where it gives the government the right to control the type of light bulbs used in Dime Box, Texas, or anywhere else in the United States."

Poe criticized Congress' focus on regulation rather than working to develop natural resources during an energy crisis.

"I yearn for the day when Americans took care of America by developing our own abundant natural resources like coal, natural gas and crude oil to provide affordable energy to Americans," Poe remarked.[/b]