Went fishing in the new boat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Well, we finished setting up the new boat and breaking in the motor, and today was our first offshore fishing trip. Seas were only 1-2 ft, and the boat was fantastic. We got it up to 40 knots (freaking awesome) traveling to and from the port.

Once we reached our destination (one we used to fish years ago when we were on an offshore fishing team), we had a fish on within 2 minutes of our first lines hitting the water. Our first fish was about a 12 lb kingfish. After that the bite was one. We were in the kings all morning. Overall, we boated 4 kings, had about 5-6 other knockdowns, but baits got slashed with no hook set. At the end of the morning we played around with some bottom fish and caught a few seabass, and an octopus.

All-in-all, a fantastic day for only 5 hours of fishing. We are incredibly pleased with the boat - very comfortable and very efficient (only used about 18 gallons of gas total all day).

Here's a few of the kings we caught.

[Broken External Image]:

Sounds like you have officially christened the boat. Nice fish ya got there! Good luck and have fun. Now the whole website knows where to go on vacation. LOL, BC :supercool:

Way cool Jenn! Great method of breaking in a new boat. Catchin', not just fishing.

I'll post pics of my solo 200+ pound Ahi, when I can find a picture online. Enjoy. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, all. We had an absolute blast out there. The boat is fantastic, and the fishing is amazing.

And sure enough, if anyone's in town and wants to go out, shoot me a line. If we can make it work, we'll go!

swshawaii - I'd like to see pics of that! I don't quite think we'll be catching anything over 200lbs, let alone a tuna in our boat, but I can always live vicariously through others. :haveabeer:

Jenn- About twenty years ago I saw two guys dragging a 650 pound Pacific Blue Marlin,

strapped to the side of their 13 foot Boston Whaler. (Seriously)

Unfortunately, sharks ate half of it before they got back to the dock. Unbelievable.

These guys are crazy enough to troll soda can sized jet head lures using 14/0 or 16/0 reels in these tiny boats.

Hawaii still holds the record for the largest Pacific Blue caught, 1805 pounds in 6/6/70.

Used to team fish off of Kona for marlin, we have one on the wall at kona village, 900ish lbs.

Last one I killed was 447, never again.[Broken External Image]:

Lied, 446

Agree Bill. Seems such a waste for a fish that rarely gets eaten. Very low market value, if any.

Tuna are another story, especially during the holidays. (Premium Yellowfin @ $30 a pound) :supercool:

Killed it because it was bleeding from the gill rakers, would have died anyhow, but was sad.

Marlin are actually not bad eating if under about 100 lbs.

Tuna are lots of fun (and work).

Couple yrs back we got into a massive school of baby tuna (20, 30 pounders).

landed maybe 20 tuna heads only, darn porpose would come and nail them when about 10 yrds from the boat.

The best of the best IMO, will always be ONO, (wahoo), greatest eating and fighting fish in the sea.

Latest posts