Well...I got 'er dun

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia Snyder

Reaction score
I finally got the cold air intake finished on my '07 v6. Got an adapter that came with a plastic adapter to make the diameter around the MAF match the factory tube. Crazy how .25" will be a big difference. No more check engine light! Also got her all cleaned up. I forgot how good she looked :love:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on fabbing it up but how is this a "cold air intake" when the element is clearly inside the engine comparment adn not shielded from any source of heat whatsoever??

I gotta build a compartment to pull it from the front... just havent had time. Not 100% as efficient as it will be when i get that done, but does helluva lot better than factory. Considering they don't make these for mine, I'm proud of it.

Thanks! I'm loving it. Mileage went up by three so far and will be even better once i learn to keep my foot out of it and when i get the bed cover back on.

Everything came from autozone and all cost around $100 to $120 bucks. I got a spectre aluminum tube, an air filter (i got spectre), a coupling and a MAF sensor adapter...all spectre. I recommend the silicone coupling which has to be ordered. Its much more flexible than whats at the store and a much tighter seal. And the MAF sensor adapter also had to be ordered (part #9054 i think). It will come with a plastic piece that goes inside the tube and under the sensor so the tube diameter is the same as the factory one...otherwise, the computer freaks out bc you have a larger tube. I also cut the tube off about 3/4 inches to make it fit better but will go in without that. Just a tight fit. Only took about an hour to do. I think thats all I did. Sorry I didn't do a project on it. I was was exhausted and running out of time.

Mileage went up by three so far and will be even better once i learn to keep my foot out of it and when i get the bed cover back on.

Bed cover won't make a difference. It's been scientifically proven that trucks without bed covers don't get worse MPG than those with covers. Just like driving w/the tailgate open makes no difference.

otherwise, the computer freaks out bc you have a larger tube.

Right. You'll probably need a new tune to cure this. If not, you're probably going to continue to throw P0171 and/or P0174 codes (Bank 1 & 2 Lean). This is a common occurrence in drive-by-wire vehicles. The computer sees the greater airflow with the bigger pipe, and can't adjust the fuel/air ratio to compensate without a new tune. Driving for a prolonged time like this in a lean condition could lead to detonation.

Same thing happens with the 4.0L V6 in Mustangs. That's why pretty much every CAI kit for the Mustang V6 recommends a new tune with the kit. Only ones that don't require a new tune are the K&N and BBK (same size pipe as OEM) and the <A HREF="http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=139&category_id=612&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1">Anderson Ford Motorsport Power Pipe</A> (comes with an <A HREF="http://www.abacoperformance.com/products.htm">Abaco DBX digital MAF </A> that reads/adjusts for the increased airflow).

Latest posts