Weired wireless backup camera

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrel Chaney01

Reaction score
I have the V3 wireless camera on my ST and a weired thing happened today. I was in the small town of Cadiz, Ky parked on the main street going through town. After backing up and putting the ST in park, the screen switched to another picture and not black. I moved the gear shift from R to P a few more times to see if it happened again and it did every time. Looking closely on the screen I could tell that it was a live feed of a security camera at one of the antique stores. So I guess if you wanted to check out a business's security camera and it used the same channel as your backup camera, you'd be in luck.:lol:

LOL, changing gears changed the channel. Sweet! lol. So how many times have you done this, or showed it off since noticing it? Kinda wonder why it only changed, when changing the gears.... kinda weird.

wireless items do very interesting things on their own... same channels same sites or audios

same as cordless phones and cbs or baby monitors. scarey ....

or..yours is just possessed! :)

Back when cordless phones (not cell phones) first came out, we got one. I took the headset, turned it on, stuck it between my neck and the seat, and drove around the neighborhood. I got several dial tones and several conversations! Newer phones have security features to prevent that. I assume the wireless cameras will do the same thing eventually.

:lol:Well it happened again coming back from Evansville, In. Coming into Henderson, I get a live feed off of a Audubon Chrysler's lot cameras.

I was in the small town of Cadiz, Ky

Yes, blink once driving though and you miss it. You have to blink five times to miss Henderson. ;)

Obviously the camera uses a common frequency used by other type cameras. I guess the only solution is to not drive backwards through towns. :lol:

Hmm, I wonder if you could rig up one of those cameras to see through the hole used for lowering the spare tire...I don't have a spare anyways...

Darrel, consider yourself LUCKY lol That sure must be strange to see the feeds of something you are not expecting to see!.

Now if you see theirs...does that mean somebody else can see yours? :)

As I understand it, the V3 wireless monitor is always "on" unless you turn it off manually. The camera can be wired hot all the time but in most installations, it is wired into the reverse lights so it only comes on in reverse. However, if you enter into the range of another camera on the same frequency, you will pick up their signal. Probably if you drove though town in reverse, the signals would scramble each other or the stronger signal would override the other. I would think the trucks rear camera would over ride the other signal or they would create havoc with each other.

I have one also and they are easy to install but work only "so so" in my opinion. I pick up security camera signals and it is quite a distraction trying to figure out which building the signal is coming from so I just manually turn the camera off! I'd hate to rear end another vehicle because I was distracted by the monitor. Some folks wire theirs "on" all the time and here I am trying to figure out which vehicle the signal is coming from and trying to see my vehicle. Would be really nice to see my ST running into the back of the signal vehicle because I wasn't paying attention to the road!! LOL

GM, yes they can see your signal but if it is wired to only come on when in reverse, you're not broadcasting while driving down the highway unless you're doing it in reverse.

For what I paid for it, it does a pretty good job but it has glitches and weirdities that should be expected from an inexpensive Chinese made product. Heck, we may be getting lead poisioning just driving our ST's around with these devices!!

Take care and turn the camera off!!

Gary G '07 V8 4X4 XLT
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I wonder if you could rig up one of those cameras to see through the hole used for lowering the spare tire...I don't have a spare anyways...

The hole used for lowering the spare? So you would be watching the road below you, giving you a virtual glass floor under the bed?

**I've never lowered my spare--heck, it's still the stock wrangler from the factory, while michelins are on my wheels. Never even used before I got her from carmax. Which is good, because ya'll say they suck. More vehicles should come with full, real-man spares.

The hole for lowering the spare is beneath the tailgate and points backwards. You insert your jack handle into it crank it to lower the spare.

Latest posts