Weird electrical problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex dougherty

Reaction score
Not sure what category to put this in and not sure if anybody else has had this problem but yesterday i went out to my trac in the morning around 7:30 and i try to unlock it with the remote key fob and it doesn't do anything, then i try the door keypad and it doesn't do anything, it doesn't even light up. I then try to unlock the door with my key in the door but it wouldn't turn at all so i had to leave it there for the day. After school i tried the key fob again and it still wouldn't do anything. I put he key in the door and moved it back and forth pretty fast until it finally unlocked the door. I tried the lock / unlock button and nothing happens. At this point i think the battery is dead but as soon as i put the key in the ignition the door chime comes on and i turn the key and its starts fine and then everything works . I hooked it up to the battery charger and the charger said it had 75% left. Im not sure if thats a safety feature or something but i almost called a lock smith to get into it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Alex D

If it starts, the battery is good. The problem is most likely a broken wire where they run from the cab to the door. These wires bend and flex each tine the door is opened and closed and they will sometimes break, particularly if there is a connector or connection there.

First check the fuse, though (because it's easy to check). Then, using the wiring diagram, locate and check the ground (because that's pretty easy, too). Then check for a broken wire.

BTW - the key fits in both front doors. The locks are sucky; keep them lubed.

I dont think its a wore or a fuse because with the door open before i put the key in nothing worked and the. After i put the key in with the door still open everything worked. Im thinking that its a security system issue.

Have your battery tested anyway. Our gen1 tracs do weird things with a weak battery. Even if it does' startup.

I know the feeling Gavin

I parked my 08 ST in a lot, locked it with the fob and walked across the street to the Post Office.

On return I tried to unlock with fob, no response, tried key in door lock, could not turn lock. Disgusted thinking something big had happened I ht the fob lock twice and the truck 3 spots behind me responded. The only difference in the 2 trucks were the rear only license plates

Latest posts