Weird Clicking Sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Braga

Reaction score
I'm not very mechanical so please be kind...

I am hearing a weird clicking sound coming from inside the engine. It seems to occur every 12 - 15 seconds. When I popped open the hood I noticed the sound is coming from one of the pulleys on the belt drive. There is a metal plate in front of the upper right pulley that turns and when it starts/ stops is when the clicking sound occurs. Anyone ever hear this sound? Is it common across all ST?

If I do have to bring it does anyone know if a K&N FIPK void a warranty? I want to make sure I put back the OEM airfileter just in case I have to bring it in. Appreciate any help on this.

Dod you have the air conditioner running?

If so, try it with the A/C off, there's a know clicking from the AC compressor that you have to learn to live with.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what it might be...

K&N should not void you warranty unless Ford can prove with no doubt it caused some malfunction.

I was told by my local Ford store, that is the ac compressor pulley. It is somehow activated periodically to ensure lubrication of the pulley bearing. Mine has done it since day one.

its the air compressor cycling...the tracs air compressor runs all the time no matter what your interior controls are set on (from the owners manual)...no worries its normal (just annoyingly loud, on mine anyway)...a

Actually, the compressor is off in three positions. Off, and then two of the settings. I recall one of them being the heat position and forget the other. Someone will chime in though with the correct info.

IIRC, the three settings are "Offf", "Floor", and "Vent". If you turn it off, the clicking will stop.

Nothing wrong with it. That is what it is supposed to do.

Tom

Peter I have to admit i been living with it since day one and it still drives me bananas, every 10 seconds click click click... Ahhhhhhhhh...

My AC does work but it needs some work as it is just not cool enough... I have tried a recharge and it lasted all of about a week or 2 with nice cold air. i think i have a small leak but who knows, I just gotta throw some money at it.

Joseymack

Was able to stop mine from cycling by doing the idle speed adjustment in projects.Sseems that our compressors must have a certain RPM or they cycle on and off....Over time, the idle speed drops just a little and causes the cycling of the compressor. Do the project and it will stop.

Latest posts