Watch your tail...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advice, Bill.

This has been a problem for years. During my run as parts manager at Hal Gilliam Ford in New Carlisle, OH there was a time in 80's we removed the tailgates of the new Ford pickups and stored them inside to avoid theft. The word was that in the Dayton, OH metro area , if you needed a replacement tailgate you could put the word out to certain people and have a new one in correct color and all in a few days.

Replacements for a stolen gate was quite high by the time you bought the latches, hinges, pins, hardware, moldings and then paint and that meant two tone on a deluxe model.

And I will start locking my tailgate on my Trac at all times. I should know but have not thought about it as of late. Thanks !

Bill

I installed the auto-lock mechanism from one of the projects on this site many years ago--the one which causes the tailgate to lock and unlock when the doors are locked/unlocked. Great project, was fun and easy to do, and saves a ton of headaches and time later on!

swshawaii, thanks for that link, and sorry for the duplication. I'm on the Sport Trac Board infrequently, and sometimes forget to check there for items like this. :)

Latest posts