was anyone in Marching Band?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSondra Grossen

Reaction score
This is our first experience with marching band as our son chose this adventure as a freshman. It was a little rough start, but they are doing great! Their first competition was yesterday and they took first place in their class! As my husband said, up until now, we didnt know this stuff existed!

SO, were you in marching band? How many years did you participate? What was your favorite/worse memory of it?

Sondra

Last edited by a moderator:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4smgVpcFMp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, I marched for 6 years. I played trumpet. The worst memory was during the St. Paul Winter Carnival when it was -20 degrees outside. We soaked the valves of the horns in 100% antifreeze so they wouldn't freeze up. A few players got frostbite. Then there were the wool uniforms. Great at the winter carnival, but awful when it was 100 degrees. Marchers used to pass out on a regular basis.

marched one year........ st patty's day in montreal first band to have electic guitar played TUSK by fleet wood mac was good time ..... i was intro ed to my first gentle mens club there at 14 ....as most anything today i sure it a pain the a33 and cost alot :eek:nline:

I was for 6 years. I wanted to be a drummer and took lessons one summer. At the end of the lessons, the instructor said, "here's your trumpet", as I was a terrible drummer.

Being in band kept me in high school. I was losing interest and it was the only thing that kept me coming back. A big part of that was the band director. He was a no BS guy and told it like it was. I needed that as a kid.

I used that skill while I was in the military to sound taps at hundreds of funerals and cermonies.

he played the trumpet 5th-8th grade, but the band director needed some to switch to mellophone b/c there was too many trumpets by the time all the feeder schools registered. He starts private lessons this week, he needs to learn some basics yet of the mellophone.

It has definately helped with his social skills, just as everyone said. The band is a close group of kids and with LOTS of band camp over the summer, it was nice to start high school and have less anxiety knowing many kids already. Now, to juggle rehearsals and keep up on the studies!

The video I posted above is from his competition on Saturday.

Sondra

I have heard that the back of the bus on long band trips is a great reason to join band. I never could even play a whistle, so band was not in my future as a kid.

My oldest daughter did it for three years, all but her Senior year.

She played the drums. Her school won many competitions and we did the Marching Band thing at Disney where you are part of their parade.

We truly enjoyed watching her and it got us going to the high school football games as well..

I was in the Army and did a lot of Marching. I was also a guitar player in a band. Neither were done at the same time...The Army frowned upon that...:grin:

When I was in HS, I played Football, and when I was in Germany, I coached Jr. League football, but there was no bands or cheerleaders except the player's parents.

Both my daughters were in the Marching band all through HS. Both played the Flute, but my youngest daughter branched out and became a Captian of the Flag Corps. She is now a Medical Technology Instructor at Zane State University in Zanesville, OH. My oldest daughter is a Tax Accountant for Curves (women's fitness centers) corporate offices here in Waco, TX.

...Rich

My son played in the Marching band from 8th grade to senior year, my younger son plays baseball Varsity since he was a freshman, now a jr...it seems like there is always a geek and a jock in the family...lol

Didn't do Marching Band but played in the band until the 9th grade. Like Bo I played drums and was terrible at it. When the school band marched in the local parades I was regulated to carrying the flag. During school concerts i was "allowed" to play the triangle and maybe the cymbals if they were feeling sorry for me.

"allowed" = to take into consideration, as by adding or subtracting;

Use it in a sentence = After subtracting all possible considerations that will have the greatest impact on the concert they allowed me to play the triangle. All three times during the hour long concert. WOOT WOOT

Good video Sondra

Latest posts