Want long life from your transmission?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Sorlie

Reaction score
I've noticed an increased number of postings about transmission problems. IMO, most of them are due to infrequent AT fluid service. The transmission is the second-most expensive part in your car - don't you think it'd run better and last longer if you used a better fluid and changed it at reasonable interval, say 50K miles? Even though I'm a sponsor here and sell AMSOIL, I've used this fluid in several of my cars over the last 15 years and will say that it really makes a difference. The Multi-Vehicle fluid (red label/cap) meets Mercon V specs; Low Viscosity fluid (blue) meets the newer Mercon LV and SP spec found in the Gen2 cars. Large jug in middle of picture holds 10 qts.[Broken External Image]: Treat your Trac to the best: AMSOIL.

So what's your opinion on a flush and filter/fluid change on a ST with 115,000 miles on the original fluid? There's an intermittent 2-3 surge when driving for the first couple of minutes, but it's fine afterward. I baby it... no flooring it or aggressive passing.

Before you jump on me for not doing it sooner, I would have, but was living on $6000 a year at the time it should have been done.

Last edited by a moderator:
At minimum I recommend a pan drop to change the filter and refill. I'd also install a drain plug in the pan while it's off. See the DIY writeup in Maintenance section of Projects for a very handy way to make freshening your ATF a snap thereafter. Drain/refill 3-4 quarts of fresh fluid for next 3 oil changes, then once a year after that and you'll be impressed. If you want to flush all the fluid yourself it is possible by disconnecting the cooler lines and getting a second person to help you; it's not a one-man job. Easiest but most expensive way is to take your own AMSOIL fluid to local fast lube for them to put in their flush machine. You can see capacities on your Trac by using the Online Lookup on my website. If you'd like pricing on any product, call or PM me.

Not knocking amsoil, or others. I have always had a problem with multi-vehicle fluids. Im old school and prefer to stay specific.

At the end of last year I used peak coolant. It said, compatible with ford gold. That is all I could find. My dealer was out of the gold. I talked with several techs and independents. They didnt recomend it. So now I have the zerex G05, I need to put in it. Ford techs and others told me it is specific make up of the ford gold.

Maybe Im behind times. I just dont trust universal fluids.

True. Time was when I had my Ranger and my previous Sport Trac, all 4.0 SOHC/autos, they called for a tranny flush every 30,000 miles. My new Trac calls for a flush at 150,000 :throwup: . I did it at 50k anyway. Tauruses are known for weak transaxles but we just traded in the wife's with 168k on it and the tranny had never been touched other than a flush every 30k miles as per the owners manual. Still ran and shifted like new.

Also as we know here, I am a proponent of changing the lube in the transfer case every 30k. It takes regular Mercon ATF.

Also as we know here, I am a proponent of changing the lube in the transfer case every 30k. It takes regular Mercon ATF.

Not any more. Ford changed the requirements:

"Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid

Usage

For use in transfer cases driving front axles on all-wheel-drive (AWD) and 4x4 vehicles

Not for use in automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, power take off units (PTU), fluid couplers or AWD vehicles equipped with a transaxle

Features

Premium-quality fluid for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury transfer cases

Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives

Provides increased protection against deposit, rust, corrosion and wear

Maintains proper viscosity at extreme temperatures

Recommended by Ford Motor Company

Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles"

Note that the section for Mercon V says:

"Not for use in transfer cases"

Latest posts