waiting for the word

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry tanner

Reaction score
well i drop my baby off at ford Saturday. today. i should here what is causing my od light to flash. if it is the transmition going bad. well i love the st but she may have to go. i will keep you guys and girls informed.

thanks

hdt

Did the transmission last year in my 01, didn't cost very much (for a transmission) but I got all the updates done, a shift kit, upgraded valve body, pan magnet, drain plug install and synthetic oil all for under $2400. I did the removal and install in the driveway, that saved me an extra 1000.

I did the math and it still made more sense to rebuild the transmission than it did to get a new truck, it was 2400 vs 50,000 as momma wanted a new loaded Explorer if we were going to upgrade.

Glad I made the rebuild choice, the transmission shifts like an old school C6 now, sharp, crisp shifts.... nothing like the slush box that it came with the truck.

This spring I will be adding a spin on filter to the cooler line, that with regular 30,000 KM oil changes and band adjustments, this transmission will last forever.

i just talked to them. they are waiting for there transmit ion guy to look at it, but the master tech did say there was something wrong with it. as far as price. they told me for a rebuild one not installed is going to be $3,900. then you have to add labor and tax. so if the st is only worth $7,000 max. it is not worth it. i have been looking at the Nissan almita. i had one for two years and love it. i just hate going back to payments again.

My advice is not to take it to ford. We had one member that was experiencing tranny issues after seeing the OD light flash. He took it to ford and they told him a new tranny was needed. He then went to a good reputable tranny shop in his area and turned out to be a part related to the PCM. Can't remember, maybe a solenoid? He spent less than 300 dollars and his trac drove fine after. The thing about the transmissions is that they receive signals from PCM (power train control module) so something bad in the PCM can make your tranny act up.

If it still runs. I would take it to other shops and let them diagnose it for free. They shouldn't charge at all.

I had to rebuild mine and at the best tranny shop in my town it was 2,700. She ran like a champ after that

Wow, $7k repair on an '03. That's more than trade-in value isn't it (I wonder if the dealership is pushing you towards a new purchase)? Does a flashing OD light throw a code than can be read? Replacing solenoids and upgrading parts in the valve body would cost just hundreds instead of thousands.

Hollyman, did you replace the entire valve body or just did the upgrades on it? Also, did your pan not already come with a magnet? Edit: Hmm, actually nermind. I know I had to purchase a magnet when I worked on my trans so I guess my 04 didn't come with one either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, suggest getting a second opinion from a private shop. I experienced the same thing on my daughters car a few years ago, a Mercury Tracer LTS model (fun little car by the way). The tranny blew on it one morning as I was driving it to work (glad it was me and not her). I took it to dealer first and it was going to be around $4500 for a rebuilt unit. I hauled it to a local Mr. transmisison shop and got one installed for around $1800 including a warranty. We never had any issues with it either, and it lasted anouther 60k miles before we sold the car.

Ditto on second opinion from a reputable independent. I have seen the cost cut in half vs the ford dealer cost.

Some things I never let a dealer do.....

my o.d light was flashing when i bought mine. did some research and found the valve body gaskets to be a problem on these transmissions. the updated separator plate with bonded gaskets was about $60 add the filter, fluid and a few hours laying in the driveway. relatively cheap and easy. there is even a how to on youtube.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilYmZpgfXa8) about 8 months still no light.

Latest posts