Vonage or Comcast

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cannon

Reaction score
Does anyone have their phone service over the internet? I am looking into it to save some cash but do not know anyone that has it yet.

If you do have, which provider do you have and what do you think about it?

I've had Comcast for about 1 1/2 years now. Never an outtage that I was aware of. Got all the services as before for a lot less the cost.

TJR

I have Vonage. Got it a few months back because ATT was changing me $70 a month for the service I had, went to Vonage and get it for less than $30/month, and less than $25/month if I pay Annually and that includes all fees and free long distance to anywhere in the continental US. I will say research to see if their 911 system is setup in your area, it works a little differently through Vonage, but it is still the same result. I actually love having it. I got a UPC in case the power goes out I will still have home phone for several hours, plus I have my cell. Let me know if you decide to try it, I can get you a extra free month (you already get one from them) through referral.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have AT&T DSL with the lowest land line.

then I use Lingo for my Long distasnce. it is under $25 a month and I can call USA, Canada and Western Europe. (My wife uses it everyday to call Denmark..)

If your going to get it. let me send you referal..

Email me and I will send it..

I have my home phone service and internet svc thru charter, as a bundle pkg, phone service has all the goodies, (VM, CID, caller ID, etc.,) with free long distance in the lower 48 for a flat fee, internet svc is 5mb speed, everything works fine and is cheaper and better service than ATT, can't speak about other providers though

I don't know anything about Vonage, but I have had Comcast for about a year now.

Comcast uses their own network to carry their phone traffic, not the Internet, which may be an advantage over Vonage, if the latter uses the Internet.

I had one <I>6-day</I> outage recently when someone hit and broke a pole in front of my house. It was Verizon's pole, and because it wasn't lying in the roadway, Verizon was in no hurry to fix it. After several increasingly angry phone calls from me, they finally replaced the pole, <I>three days later</I>. During my last call to Verizon, I demanded to speak to a supervisor, who kept me waiting for <I>20 minutes</I> before she picked up her phone, complete with 'tude. I guess she thought that she'd out-wait me, but I held on.

I already hated Verizon for their 16 years of appalling non-service to my screwed-up phone line, and took this opportunity to calmly tell the supervisor why I was no longer, and would never again be, a Verizon customer.

Now that the pole had been replaced, Comcast could replace the broken cable wire, right? While they got right out there the morning after the pole was hit, Comcast took <I>another three days</I> to get around to replacing their wires. This was despite the fact that I repeatedly told them that I was supposed to have started a 3-week stint with a <b>cardiac monitor</b>, which relied on the telephone service to communicate. Didn't matter: they got there when it was damn well convenient <I>for them</I>. Consequently, my initial admiration for Comcast's service has evaporated.

Other than that, though, outages have been brief, few and far-between. Call quality is far superior to anything I ever had with Verizon, and there is simply no comparison between the Internet speed of cable and the lousy 26.4k dial-up speed I got with Verizon.

I had one 6-day outage recently when someone hit and broke a pole in front of my house....After several increasingly angry phone calls from me...

If the phone service was out, how did you call them??? :lol::p

I dumped AT&T LD which is saving me about 23 bucks a month for the service I had and have been using MagicJack for several months now with no issues. I have it connected to my laptop and have two wireless handset phones for making LD calls.

Can't beat just 20 bucks a year for unlimited LD calling. Comes with Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, Voice Mail, and Three Way Calling. Calls incoming and outgoing have always been crystal clear.

I don't keep my PC up 24/7, I shut it off when I go to bed and start it back up in the morning.

I'm also using AT&T Uverse as my internet and TV service. I dumped TWC and got a better deal with more options for less. Far better service response as well. If TWC offered me free service for a year, I'd tell them to KMA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts