Volunteers Needed - camp counselors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Geist

Reaction score
For the past 6 years, I have volunteered as a camp counselor for a week during August in Greeley, PA (Poconos Mountains; 15 minutes from Lake Wallenpaupack) for kids who have or had cancer and their siblings. This year, the camp dates will be August 12th-19th. The camp is divided into a junior (ages 7-12)and senior camp (ages 13-17). We recently found out that we are in need of some additional counselors, especially males. We typically have 175-200 kids and 40-50 counselors and about a dozen additional staff, including psychosocial staff, nurses, etc.

The week is long and tiring and takes a lot out of you emotionally and physically but I have continued to return year after year due to the overwhelming feeling that I helped these kids during times when they just want to be kids. I understand this is not for everyone but would like to throw this out to anyone who would like more information. You can email me at [email protected]. If you are interested in donating something, we end up giving those things away to the kids at the end of the week (we've had companies give brand new backpacks, bikes, media players, game systems, frisbees, sports memorabilia, etc.)

The process does involve criminal and child abuse background checks. No smoking or drinking but we still manage to have a great time.

Maybe you'll even spot one of the black bears that frequent the area. Last year was the only year I didn't see one.

Check out the site below to find out more info. Post here or email me if you have any questions.