Voltage Stabilizer: Sham or Not?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An even better question for you:

Would you void the warranty on all parts in your electrical system by adding this little gem to your '04 ST?

I suspect you would!

TJR

You forgot one, TT...

- A sticker for any aftermarket performance part placed on your rear window.

Even if you don't have the part, this has been proven to increase performance.

You forgot high-speed muffler bearings, synthetic headlight fluid, and many more!

I found this listing last month and posted it here.

Don't you guys dis those high speed muffler bearings. They work great. I get over 30 mpg now (downhill).

Careful, a couple months ago I got a virus from the Kalecoauto.com site. Norton stopped it, but still....:angry:

Sport Trac muffler bearing (2001-2005 only). Priced to sell @ $29.99 each. Postage and handling is $87.56 in the Continental U.S. If you E-Mail me in the next 10 minutes I will include a second (yes second) bearing absolutely free. Act now, supplies are limited

.[Broken External Image]:

My trac has the stock exhaust. Do I need two muffler bearings, or is the second one just for a spare?

The thing in the ebay auction is a scam, but a good electrical system isn't. In most cases, ground wires and power delivery wires and connections aren't the best of stock from factory, and in those cases, going to "hyperground" or "hypervoltage" wires will provide a smoother electrical system, which, in theroy allows your engine to perform better. I know these aren't race cars, but race teams will use higher amperage main power and ground wires with much better connections to ensure reliability, and whatever little perormance they might get. This is one of those cases where the theroy behind the scam is sound, but the product being sold isn't.

The thing in the ebay auction is a scam, but a good electrical system isn't.

Tiger. Thanks for actually responding with a reply worth reading. I've seen this and many others that "do" the same thing... I was simply curious as to if they work or do not work.

LB my first post asking if you have considered whether or not such a device would void you warranty wasn't "worth reading"?

But, to your question. Does a "better" electrical system increase performance on an ST? I kinda doubt it. Does a "worse" electrical system decrease performance...SURE, if I have bad or floating grounds and electronic components start to fail or not perform within their thresholds than I should expect performance to go all to hell. But there has to be SOME level in which the electrical system is working within its minimum design parameters and anything ABOVE or improved upon that I don't see giving anything useful back in performance.

I say that because electronic components don't work that way. If everything is working within spec, you should get the same performance again, and again, and again. Slightly improved over "within spec" must still be "within spec", right?

Or, so it seems from my point of view, and I IS AN Electrical Engineer (okay, minored in EE in college).

I don't discount what Tiger says about sports cars...but we aren't trying to eek out every little tiny miniscule improvement with seemingly infinite budgets to spend. On a race car, ultimately someone is asked by an owner/sponsor "Have you done everything and I mean EVERYTHING possible to make this the fastest car out there?" to which the engineer has to be able to say: "Yes" That's the difference in my mind between street and track vehicles.

TJR

Thank you TJR for your response. THAT is what I was expecting to get.

I was only curious because I have a good bit of emergency equipment on the verge of being set up in my Trac. I have been told that the OPTIMA batteries are a good "consideration" being that I will be running several components all at once for some time. Any improvement to give my Trac more power and longer battery life would be a benefit.

Thanks. LB

Agh, LB, so you will be upgrading and adding electronic and electrical components...that's a different story.

Post back with some specs of some of the things you will be adding (load characteristics, etc). Many on here use their STs for business and power bench grinders and refrigerators, etc, some using DC appliances, others using AC appliances and inverters.

I am sure if we had a better idea where you were headed some folks here could give you some sound advice.

TJR

One of the reasons for improving electrical conductivity and isolation is to get rid of noise and voltage drops. In "spec" is a funny term. It really means that it is within the limits as dictated by the design and materials used. In terms of electrical characteristics voltages are usually defined within a max and a min, but others, such as resistance , etc. are often specified as "X" or less or "X" or greater. For instance the amount of line noise in the power lead to the radio has a specified acceptable maximum. If the noise was less, you'd get BETTER reception on weak signals. The same is true for resistance to ground, maximum voltage drops, etc. Improving components above minimum spec values either increases the performance ( such as voltage drops to headlights being reduced) or increases reliability.

If you are going to be adding additional electrical load, a spiral wound sealed Orbital or Exide battery would be very benefitial. The deep discharge/starting batteries (yellow top Orbital or equivalent) is what I think will serve you best in my opinion.

Thanks MikeC, for you understand electrical components when in use on an auto.

The best way to kill an electrical circuit is to cause it over heat. One of the best ways to overheat a circuit is through poor wire, either too small or poor conductor, kinks, cutc, knicks, and poor connections. Improve any of these, and you'll increase the reliability of said circuit, and make the circuit preform better because the electricity isn't working as hard. Same reason why people add intakes and exhuasts....it puts less strain on the engine making it more efficient and work better, ie, more performance.

LB, while the "spec" electrical system would work, there's no use in causing premature component failure, or an unsafe situation. Good vehicle grounds and hots, depending on just how much you want to add, wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade.

Latest posts