Video Card Question??? (PC Computer)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Well, I think mine has failed. Our PC has no output to the monitor. I have plugged in a second monitor and it actually says, "No input to monitor". Sooo, I am guessing it has gone bad.

Just curious if anything else will cause this before I go buy a card.

Some back ground, I have owned 12 or so PC's, never had one fail as of yet. That said, this computer is 5 or so years old and is NEVER turned off with some rare exceptions.

What do you think???

I am with u on the video card failing. With all the PC's in the past do u have 1 with a card in it laying around? Maybe u could swap it out and try it?;)

How are you seeing to type the question??? LOL!!! sorry.

Really, I had a PC do that and the nice man at the PC repair place told me it was my mother board. I don't know if he was being truthful or not.

All the fans still kick on when you hit the power button?

No beep codes coming from the computer?

Only other thing would be if one of the other PCI cards went bad.

I would pull all the other cards from it then try with just the video card and see if anything changes.

Funny thing is,,,, I just donated 5 computers last week to a local organization that wipes them out and then donates them to agencies that help others. Sooo, no other computer to rob a board from. It is all in the timing... LOL

I can see the text as I am on my laptop, but I just KNEW someone would ask... LOL

Yes, all fans work and all lights work as normal, no beeps or codes that I can hear.

Yeah, one thing I forgot about when mine died, it didn't have any lights or fan action. I had a spare (good) power supply and it didn't help.

you can purchase for cheap money at a BestBuy or Circuit City type store. it depends on what you use your PC for? if your gaming and view alot of video or edit videos, then you will need a high end card. If you use it for just accessing the internet and email, then a $30 card is fine. Maybe you can go to the organization that you donated the computers to and see if they have a box that is in pieces and see if they will let you have the video card

Dan G

Pull the Vid card and then reseat it into the slot. Fire up the PC. See if that fixes that. One of the many reasons I keep a spare PCI and AGP vid card laying around my house.

Tom

I would at least try to start in Safe Mode, last know good config to see if a driver got corrupted. Could simply be a bad driver. Can you see the POST when it starts?

Your PC should/may have have a second video connection for video coming from your mother board. Video cards are usually add on upgrades, most motherboards have standard built in video. If you have this standard video try plugging in there. If you are using a digital LCD monitor with digital video cable you will have to find a standard D-sub 9-pin cable to plug your monitor into the on board video.

I have called the organization and they are willing to help, but, are not available until Monday. I am not patient enough for that since i have all my cables pulled out and what not.

Only have a single location the card will fit into on this mother board.

Resetting the card did not solve it.

Safe mode did not solve it.

And, a low end card is all we need or this PC. Basically it is the family computer where they, (not I, as I use my laptop), get their e-mail and get onto the net.

Thanks for the tips/ideas...

Check your cable that goes to the monitor if you have any pets that chew, or have a problem with field mice. I've had sound cards and internal modems die before from power surges, so I guess a video card could suffer the same fate.

I have hooked up two monitors, one flat screen and the other the old traditional style. No good either way.

Going to buy a card as soon as I get a chance, but,,, for now, I need to go have lunch with my 9 year old daughter at school today.

Kevin,

You can by a cheapie Video card from www.tigerdirect.com and keep it as a spare just to verify your monitor and the rest of your system is working in the event your Video card dies.

I did that a while back when I started getting the same message on my monitor "No signal, Check Monitor Cable".

99% sure it's your video card, but it's always a good practice to remove the suspect card, wipe the contacts with alcohol or electrical contact cleaner and re-install the board, as Caymen suggested.

...Rich

Do you hear the computer going through it's full boot up cycle even though the video is not working? Just trying to make sure something else is not causing the problem before you buy a card but it sounds like that is the problem. If the card has a fan is that spinning?

One thing to think about. If the computer is newer and you are eventually thinking about upgrading to Windows Vista you will want a decent video card to take advantage of all it's features. 128mb minium but 256mb is recommended.

George

Latest posts