Vibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post so here it goes...

I recently picked up an '05 adrenalin, and I stretched its legs on the highway this weekend. I noticed a vibration coming from the rear end or drive shaft that comes on about 80 mph and gets worse as I go faster. I don't nomally take it up this fast but at times on the interstate you have to. I had the (stock) tires balanced when I bought it and replaced the shocks with monroe reflexes. Other than that, drives smooth, very happy with my purchase.

Is this an inherent problem on tracs?

Is there a TSB on this?

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a 4x4, the problem is your driveshaft. The dealers are supposed replace your driveshaft with an aluminum one.

There is a TSB on this. I would look it up for you, but the NHTSA website has gone to crap and I hate having to spend 10 minutes to find the page to look up TSB's.

Tom

Some members have had their original drive shafts balanced at drive line shops. This way you get to keep your steel shaft. Apparently the aluminum one is subject to dents and other damage. Do a search on this site.

The drive shaft issue was SUPPOSE to be solved in 03. But the truth is, that many of the 03 and newer Tracs STILL made it thru assembly with a steel shaft. If you have a steel drive shaft, chances are, that is your issue.

Yeah, its 4WD. I'll take a look underneath tommorow to see what type of driveshaft I have. Its still on warrantee, so I'll prolly take that route. Thanks everyone.

Matt

It may be cupped tires as well. A lot of ST came from the factory with the camber out of specs (mine was one of them). This will cause "feathering/cupping" on the inside edge of your front tires and vibrations at highway speeds. If rotating the tires fixes the problem, then that is likely the issue.

Mt '03 Adrenalin had the steel driveshaft and the vibration. I got it changed out under the TSB with the aluminum shaft for free. The vibrations are a little better, but they are still there. Even with brand new tires and an alignment there was still a vibration. Dealer says it is the best he can do.

Hey Guys, just a follow up. I got my Trac back from the dealer this weekend. They installed a new aluminum prop shaft under warrantee. I took it up to approx 85 tonite on the highway and it was as smooth as silk - No vibration at all. Dealer gets a thumbs up on this round.

Matt