Vibration during braking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnVic M

Reaction score
The ST vibrates when braking and is especially noticable at speeds above 35MPH. I'm thinking I've got rotor problems, but would like to hear what the possibilities might be and an idea how much such repairs might cost. Since my repair shop had to close their doors, I'm also looking for recommendations for a new repair shop in the Sacramento/Elk Grove CA area. Thanks!

If it's fronts you can usually feel the vibration in the steering wheel.

How long since brakes have been done?

Doesn't seem like enough miles to be worn out, but rotors can warp at any given time. My wifes van was doing the same thing and it turned out it had a cracked brake pad, I still did new rotors and pads anyways but that was only because we didn't know the history of the vehicle and I had already bought the parts.

If the rotors are any good, they need turned. If below specs, you will need to replace them.

2WD rotors have the ABS pick-up (toner ring) built into them. If you do not get SPORT TRAC rotors these will be different and your ABS will not work properly as they will read differently from the rear sensor.

Just match them up before you do the job and make sure they are EXACTLY the same...

brakes are very simple and u only need a few basic tools and it only takes about an hour, i replaced both rotors and put ceramic pads on for 80 dollars.

Thanks for your help everyone, and Rodger thanks for sending me that info. I've been crazy busy these last few days so please forgive my lack of response.

My question now is, why are 2WD rotors twice the price of 4WD rotors? OUCH!!:cry:

The ABS sensor ring and wheel studs in the 4X4 ones are part of the Hub assy, not the rotor. on the 4X2 models, the rotor has the ABS sensor and the wheel studs on it.

The reason the 2WD front rotor are so expensive is because they include the entire wheel hub, including the bearing races. The 4WD front rotor are rotors only, they slip over the wheel hub assembly.

Latest posts