Vibration at 60-70MPH

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J C

Reaction score
I have a 2003 4x2 with a spindle/leaf spring lift with 33" tires. I have had my wheels rotated/ balanced and also have had a front end alignment after replacing the camber washers. I still have a vibration when traveling between 60-70 mph. Any suggestions? I read the previous posts about drive shaft vibrations occuring with the steel drive shafts, but it seemed to be with 4x4 only. Help :Dplease!!!

From what I understand. The bad driveshafts, vib from day one. You might want to check the U-joints though.

If it started since you put the 33" tires on. If you think it is the rear tires. You get a seat in the pants vib. Have them to break the tires down. Spin them on the rim 180 and rebalance.

Fast Eddie is right. It's most likely a tire balance problem.

A simple way to check is to look at all your tires and see if any have an excessive amount of balance weithts. Any tire that has more than a few ounces of weights on it, probably should be broke down and the tire rotated 180 degrees on the wheel and then rebalanced.

Occasionally, the heaviest section of the tire is mounted at or near the heaviest part of the wheel. This combind weight makes it very difficult, if not impossible to balance correctly.

I won't rule out a driveshaft vibration, but they tend to appear at speed above 70 MPH

...Rich.

Richard is right about the weights. If it takes 2oz to balance a tire. I make them 180 the tire and redo balance. If it is new tires and that doesnt help. I make them get anorher tire.