Vibrating side rail

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon Robson

Reaction score
I can not stop the side step rail on the drivers side vibrating, which when driving makes the most annoying sound in the world, especially when the road is not smooth (which in Atlanta is often). I have tried tightening up the bolts but it has had no effect. The vibration appears to be coming from the square bracket on the underside of the car holding the rail in place. Any ideas?

If you are generation 1 sport trac, there was a factory notice about that and mine was replaced by the dealer. It was a known issue, so you'll need to have that replaced but under your own expense I bet. That rattle drove me nuts and when I mentioned it to the dealer they were well aware and took a look. They replaced them both under warranty. I had no more problem. I now have a gen 2 Adrenalin that has a different design than the regular ST so no issue on this one.

If you are generation 1 sport trac, there was a factory notice about that and mine was replaced by the dealer. It was a known issue, so you'll need to have that replaced but under your own expense I bet. That rattle drove me nuts and when I mentioned it to the dealer they were well aware and took a look. They replaced them both under warranty. I had no more problem. I now have a gen 2 Adrenalin that has a different design than the regular ST so no issue on this one.

I had the same thing. I used a plastic window tint/decal applicator tool as a spacer/bump stop. I wedged the applicator tool between the frame and the bracket from below, so as to provide a small lift and act as a buffer between the bottom of the bracket and the frame. I did this to the bracket towards the rear tire and it took care of the vibration sound. It's been "fixed" for about 8 months.

I have a Gen 1 ST.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts