Very Frustrating Speedo

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnmaine

Reaction score
OK I've seen plenty of post on speedo cluster issues. But haven't seen my issue.

Sometime my speedo works for a couple of days then it acts up again. This is what happens. I'll be driving then all of the sudden it gets stuck on a certain speed. And sometimes when this happens i'll start up again from that point were its stuck. Lets say its stuck at 40 go down the road doing 40 (on my GPS) speedo would read 80. Or it would just stay stuck and not rebound. So how i fix this problem is unplug the battery to reset it back to normal and i'm good again for between a day to a week. And when it does it again unplug again etc etc. I checked all my grounds took the cluster out examined all wires took the steering column apart checked all connections. unplug and plug all connectors........The only thing i did not replace was the OSS sensor...Now would the sensor cause this issue or is it a bad cluster.....And i tell you what finding one is next to impossible. New one $570 ouch!! Imput would be great...

Thanks This is for a 2004 ford sport trac 4x4 automatic trans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without looking at it I would say that you have a problem with the actual speedo. I have a specialty shop here that repairs them, I would imagine that there should be one in your neck of the woods also.

The closes place is BBA REMAN in Mass. for me. $250 to repair plus fees and shipping both ways. I'm going to try to replace the OSS first before i do anything drastic. Of course sending the cluster out doesn't mean there are any guarantees.

It seems to appear a lot of '04-05 with the newer digital odometer have problems. On EBay there is a new one for $199 and I believe they will program it for an additional amount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts