Vent selector is loose - how to tighten??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Ohnsman

Reaction score
Lessee if I can describe this... The selector lever than switches vent air from interior to exterior air (in this case it is just to the left of the vent itself in the center vent) is now loose enough that it will creep down to the bottom position (and thus cut off the airflow). Normally they "click" into the top or bottom position. Is there a way to tigghten these up again?

This is on a 2002 ST.

Thanks...

>>Are you referring to the thumbwheel control at the side of the louvered vent outlet?<<

Exactly! I couldn't think of a better way to describe it. Is there a way to tighten it up??

I've used self-stick felt pads on the vents themselves with some success, but I haven't tried to do that with the thumbwheels.

The seal around the edges of the "door" or flap at the back of the vent opening may worn or deformed a lot. The door is held in position by the friction of the seal. If you remove the Radio bezel you'll have a better idea of your problem. Dreman's idea could work, or you could replace the entire vent assembly with a newer/better assembly from a wrecking yard. Let me get some pics of one I have here.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts