valves blown ST IS DEAD HELP pls !!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TowTrac

Reaction score
I replaced my water pump today and I still have a horrible tapping coming from my engine. So i'm pretty sure it's my valves on the driver side. Does anyone have any recommendations one a brand to buy from. I have napa, autozone, advanced auto parts, o'reillys, in my town. Orlando, FL. I'm debating doing the whole head or just a valve job. ANY advice or experieve would be greatly appreciated. I am mechanically inclined, i just changed out the water pump. THANKS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, I haven't seen any post on the oil pumps here. it's a long story but here is the short version

I've had a bad valve tap that got really bad really fast, in a matter of 30 days. the thing is, it tapped for about about 2+ years and then all of a sudden in a 2 week period it craps out and starts sounding like a chain saw. the other side is fine. right now I'm kinda just throwing money at it and figured the pump had gone.

l1tech is right - it's difficult to determine whether you are venting or actually want assistance. You ask if anyone has replaced an oil pump and how difficult it was and then, when questioned, state that you don't really know that it is the oil pump. The water pump was replaced, but didn't seem to fix the problem. Then, the valves are "blown", but maybe not ("pretty sure").

If assistance is what is wanted, your separate posts, each describing a defined problem, should be in one post describing symptoms. This way, the community can come together, ask questions and provide insight and possible diagnostic paths. You have to help us help you.

There were suggestions (oil pressure and compression tests) to your previous post ("My ST is slowly dying engine help needed"), but no feedback from you. Were either of these done? How much of those problems are related to your current woes?

Tapping (or sawing) noises may come from a variety of sources (rod bearing, main bearing, cam, lifter, valve, rocker, timing chain (et al), etc.).

Of course, you may throw your wallet at the truck until you have a new one, but, if you have "that kind" of money, maybe invest in a reputable shop. You'll probably end-up spending less, with less frustration and more time on your hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with YARDSALE on getting a garage to diagnose. My '03 SportTrac crapped on itself with 265,000 miles and it was a valve spring that broke. That was last August. Am STILL chasing a long block replacement after first 2 being bad. Hoping that #3 will be a good one. You ought to do the compression test or have someone do it for you if you don't have a gage or know how.