1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Valve cover gaskets

Thread in 'Engine' started by Dan B, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Dan B

Dan B Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine

Anyone know if I need to pull the intake in order to replace valve cover gaskets on the 4.0? My engine has become a leaky mess of oil and I want to be sure I order all necessary gaskets before I go in sealing it up.

2. Paul Fithian

Paul Fithian Member 2nd Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V8 Engine

I just did this on a 2001 Job 1 engine (<7/24/2000). I did have to remove the upper intake manifold, the Fel-Pro gaskets I obtained came with new lower to upper intake manifold seals.

There are a lot of other things that you have to remove to get the valve covers out.

IMG_6126.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  3. Dan B

Thank you for your reply. My engine has about 141K on it and the oil keeps dripping down onto the manifold so I sometimes get a burnt oil smell in the cab. Debating if I want to let it go or deal with removing all this stuff to fix it.

4. swshawaii

swshawaii Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

2007 4.0 2WD

5. Dan B

Yes, it is an 07, I just assumed it would be a similar process regardless of year since they all have an intake that goes over one valve cover or another. My check engine light has been on so long that I had forgotten I need a new EGR valve so I think I'll get the valve, gaskets and do it all over the weekend.

6. swshawaii

swshawaii Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

I only pointed that out because 2001 (Job 2 engines) thru 2005 do NOT require intake removal to R&R valve cover gaskets.
    If your 2007 V6 is similar to earlier Job 2 engines and the oil leak is on the driver side, check the PCV valve for leaks first. GL

7. Dan B

I finally accomplished this. It took me 4.5 hours out in 90 degree Florida heat with a few breaks but it's done. I replaced my EGR valve and figured why not do the gaskets while I already have some things removed. Removed the intake, vacuumed out the valley between the heads and got the driver side gasket done pretty easily. Passenger side was a nightmare. I couldn't remove the tube for the EGR valve from the exhaust because I didn't have two of the same size wrenches for it. I got the fitting in the exhaust loose but I didn't have another wrench to crack the nut holding the pipe to the fitting. So, with the EGR pipe extended over the valve cover, it was impossible to remove. I was determined after all this so I unbolted the cover and moved it around to get enough access to pull the old gasket off, over the timing chain and out. Installation was the same, I had to squeeze the gasket over the timing chain, install it by feel into the back/firewall side of the cover and then around the front. I couldn't clean up the cover like I wanted to but I reassembled everything and I no longer have any oil leaking down and burning on the exhaust. I also now have a functioning EGR valve.