V8 Swap Gen 1 update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
The car in question...

[Broken External Image]:

The engine in question...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

no longer a 4x2 but an AWD...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

some other added amenities...

[Broken External Image]:

still working on the EATC module and the A/C system. The speedo should be done as soon as I get the signal conversion device.

[Broken External Image]:

-in car air temp. sensor for those who are curious. what that ridiculous little vent was next to the radio bezel

Any Idea's on how to post video?

Well the truck runs great and I have been marching all about south FL in it... There is a noticeable increase in power and the AWD is working out better than I thought.

Some General INFO: if you loose your Vehicle speed sensor the car will shift the Automatic transmission almost normally unless you also have lost the Mass Air Flow sensor. I did not have either for a while and the car was not able to compute speed or engine load so it shifted so badly I had to do it manually with the shifter. However when I recently figure out my MAF wiring goof/ vacuum leak the car shifts almost perfect. (still down shifts weird/late.)

Looks good so far. Try scaling down the pictures a little more.

As for video, post it on YouTube and then just embed it in a post here, or post the link to YouTube.

I didn't realize someone was doing this in Boca. Very nice. I'm actually picking up a 302 for mine next week.

Actually I go to collage in Boca but my parents live in Ft. Pierce where these photos where taken and the Mod was done in port st joe fl and Sebastian fl. I will be driving back down to FAU latter today though. So I travel all about S. FL... I thought about putting a Made in XXX FL in the engine bay where all the notification stickers are but I dont know what town to pick:wacko:

JKII if you have any questions feel free to ask...

Just out of curiosity how are you going to solve the speed sensor issue... or are you going to bring over the ABS system and G-force sensor from a 98-01 explorer?

Last edited by a moderator:
after I get the A/C done I will finish up everything... it is a bit of a functional mess right now, but one thing at a time. I am just glad to have a car back.

did the sport trac's ever come with the EATC system (electronic air temp. control)?

I was wondering because when I was installing the one I have I realized that I have never seen that pictured in a trac

Nope, ST's never came with EATC. Some others here have done a retrofit from Explorers like you. Check out member Doug Watts' library. He's got tons of pictures and wiring diagrams for installing EATC in a Trac.

I also found a couple of guys on CarDomain that installed EATC in their Rangers. Pretty much the same as for the Sport Trac, so their projects could be a helpful reference. See the links below.

<a href="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/580833/2">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/580833/2</a>

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/memberlib.asp?view=3376&top=1">Doug Watts' Sport Trac EATC Project</a>

I think Dingo had the system for sale awhile back. Between school and surgery he has been awol, lately.

School, surgery, and a few other pressing personal issues. I talk to him occasionally on FB. He's just got a lot on his plate right now.

I live right down the street from FAU. As for the swap, I'll be starting next year and I'm re-doing the frame and making one from scratch. I haven't put much thought into it yet but if I run into problems I know a few people who do this for a living.

ya if your doing a build up w/ all aftermarket then you will not have to mess with making things compatible with the trac. I decided to keep things factory because I wanted the truck to look and perform like OEM

I believe advance adapters makes something for adapting the T-case but as far as using the 5r55e I think that's a bust. If you are putting a performance V8 in the car I do not believe the 5r55e will be in it for the long term because it is not made for all that torque. The 4r70w is not a bad transmission anyway. The o/d is pretty high and in fact it seems higher than the 5r55e my v8 is at 2800 at 80mph. And I know for a fact the 4r70w has one of the lowest 1st gears ford made.

I just came across a donor 99 Eddie Bauer for $375.00 so now i am really thinking about doing this mod. Or at least pulling what i need out and rebuilding the motor to a 347 stroker. I want my next trip to Moab to be alot easier going up the mountains..

And Don i sent you an email asking a couple questions:

However 1 question forgot to ask was what did you do about your speedo and PATS? I know you can disable the PATS system within a tune using an XCAL2 but was curious how you got around it.