V6 vs. V8....'02 ST vs. '00 Eddie Bauer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Recently my brother picked up a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD. Well, today he brought it over to replace plugs and wires. It has 114,000 miles on it.

Since he got it, he installed ST front rotors and knuckles, Addco 1 1/2" front sway bar, EE rear sway bar, Monroe Mono max shocks,home built rear sway bar end links, home built aluminum block rear sway bar mounts, ad some others I can not think of.

He has been wanting a V8 Explorer to replace the 4.0L OHV engine in his '99 with 180,000 miles on it.

After the plugs have been replaced, we went on a back road. He floored it with his V8 and then I did in my Trac. My Trac is faster...much faster!

I was surprised with that. I expected the V8 to be quicker especially since it has more HP, more torque, and lighter. My Trac was still faster than his V8 Explorer.

Maybe the 5.0L was not needed in the 1st gen after all.

Tom

p.s. Doing plugs and wires on that vehicle was a real emmer effer. OMFG did it suck!

much faster. high 17's low18 1/4 ?

but true, i was surprised that my gen2 v-8 was not as quick as it should be . :sad:

It is about as aerodynamic as my Trac is since they are the same chassis. It also had more torque that the V6 does.

Your point, besides just trying to start crap?

Tom

Caymen,

Get off your high horse. Bill was only pointing out that 215HP in a V8 is not much if any advantage...He was not trying to start any crap...but it appears that you are! You really need to get some help...I think you are becoming paranoid.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

You too need to get away from your attitude.

HP is not everything. HP is an imaginary number that is calculated. Torque is what really matters. The V8 has more torque.

My point being is that the number one complaint to Ford about the ST was the absence of a V8 engine. Myself included. With a heavier vehicle, like the ST is, the V8 would not made that much, if any, difference.

raym2...the AWD drivetrain is no more weight than a 4x4 system is. Sure my Trac is a 4x2, but the Trac still weighs more than the Explorer does. Also, with AWD, he gets ZERO wheel slippage while I get some, albeit very litte.

ReblFord...I have the 4.10 rear end in my Trac while my brother has the largest one offered in the V8 Explorer. I also have 265/70-16 tires while he has 255/70-16 tires. The two are very close in size with mine being 3/8" taller and 1/4" wider.

I guess for two people here, my comment doesn't mean anything, but I am satisfied with my V6. Not that I have ever been dis-satisfied, it is just that the V8 does not improve performance.

Tom

Tom, what is his gear ratio. That can make a big difference in torque multiplier. What I do like about the 302 is. That model came with the GT40P heads. It is easy to tear down at home and put some performance add ons. I had my '94 stang 302 pushrod dynoed @376rwhp and averaged 400tq. Naturaly asperated. That is why I wish the gen1 trac had the 302. Easy to build more power on the cheap.

Caymen,

I not even discussing HP or Torque...I am talking about your ATTITUDE !!! My attitude was fine until I read your reply to bill's post....And there is Caymen trying to sir up the sh#t pot again.

I asked why you accused Bill of trying to start crap with you when he never said anything derogitory towards you.

WHY DON'T YOU APPOLOGIZE TO BILL AND GET YOUR DAMNED ATTITUDE ADJUSTED !!

...Rich

An apology is not needed, just do not understand the above tirade, sounds like something that would eminate from a person who is chemically dependant.

bill,

I will appologize to you, but I think you know that you will never get one from Caymen.

...Rich

Thx Rich

Not your position to do so, people have been appologizing for Cayman his intire life.

Thats why he will never be able to man up so to speak.

The little boy is protected 24/7, not only on MYST, but in everyday life.

Just like any child should be I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

Cool your jets dude. I wasn't disagreeing with you (even tho it may have seemed that way) but I do find it hard to beleive the ST is heavier than an Explorer. I don't know the official weight numbers but it just seems that there is more sheet metal on a regular Explorer than an ST. Where does all the weight come from on an ST?

MAN ALIVE!! What's with all the hostility? Take a deep breath fellas.

raym2,

In no way did I think you were disagreeing with me. I am sorry if my post came across that way. It surly was not my intent.

I know driving my wife's 4x4 XLT, my Trac feels much heavier. You can feel it. On top of that, hers is a 4x4 and mine is a 4x2. I will have to get them both weighed to get an actual number.

Tom

Hers is a 2000 with 192,000 miles on it. Runs great! Would take it on a trip to California tomorrow without a second thought.

Same vehicle as the 1st gen Trac is.

Tom

There's only a 36 cubic inch difference in the Gen 2 V6 vs. V8. I still think my Gen 2 V8 is quicker than my Gen 1 V6. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. The bigger difference is the tranny. Very, very conservative shifting by the 6-spd. Take the OD off and it becomes much more aggressive. Much more alive. In fact, it seems you have to get well over 70 before it will even go past 4th gear, even then I'm not sure. Likewise, if you go into 4x4 low it really shows the additional torque. Day to driving, not much difference though. Sure sounds nicer though with the Magnaflow! Getting basically the same mpg too.