v6 or v8? 2008 thru 2010

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You wanna drive 80-90 MPH? Come to Phoenix and drive on the 101 Freeway!!!

Our gas is prolly 10% alcohol, not sure. Hate it either way.

It's sad that our High octane is only 91, when I usually buy 95 when overseas...:sad:

I got to drive a V8 Sportrac today and found the power under-whelming. Like it was being restricted from making proper V8 power. This was a 2008. Upgrades to intake, exhaust etc as already mentioned seem to be the easiest way to pep it up.

Another problem, I checked the oil dipstick after the test drive and could not detect any oil at all. After 10 minutes, only the very tip of the stick MAY have had oil on it. The mechanic said not to worry, "it was only down a quart". Then said the oil had just been changed. If it had just be changed where did the oil go in the last 100 miles, or were they trying to save on oil. After seeing that and a some excessively sun damaged rubber I passed on this one.

So then I have to ask, was the V8 you drove really an indicator of the power of the V8 ST in general? If they're running a shady enterprise and trying to sell a damaged car that is pulling an oil disappearance act, I have to wonder.

THere is a bid difference between a V6 & V8 gen 2 Sport trac but, the V8 isn't like a V8 Mustang GT. It has a weird throttle response to me....might be the throttle by wire deal. Not sure...drive other V8 Sport Tartcs to be sure and drive a 6 cylinder. I like my V8 well enough.

Thanks for the input. I found a 2008 V8 Adrenalin with 30k miles. Super clean, and I really like driving it. Most of the bells-n-whistles. So much different than the 2008 Limited I drove before. Bought it last Wednesday and already put almost a thousand miles on it. Next will be upgrading the exhaust for a little louder note, the TB and intake airflow, etc, but that will be another post.

While the v8 is very underwhelming in the adrenalin, it is smooth, sounds awesome And blows the doors of the V6. Fuel economy is rated at 1mpg less city and 1mpg more highway compared to the V6.

I found the V8 to lack throttle response and I greatly disliked the 6R80 transmission. Even with those two concerns, it's still better than the V6.

Supercharge it and eliminate all underwhelming V8 concerns :)

Apparently I'll be the only vote for the V6. Had one Ranger and two Sport Tracs with the 4.0. You won't miss the extra power unless you tow a trailer and the V6 does not have the costly maintenance issues that the V8 does, namely broken spark plugs and cracked exhaust manifolds.