UTV / search and rescue training! just got certified

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Dziubina

Reaction score
So i got invited by my EMS corps to go for our new UTV training because i am on our EMS special operations team. we purchased a new john deere gator and went for training today in woodbridge CT. all i can say is wow. don't let those things fool you when you just see them driving on a lawn or farm. we went through an INTENSE training with the UTV which included steep grade hills, rock climbing (while driving the gator), loose sand pits with logs in them, straight up downed logs one next to the other, swamps, etc. you name it, we had to overcome it. THEN, i had to do it backwards in REVERSE!! after training we went on our practical exam:

the scenario: You are deployed with a scout to locate and find a lost hunter in unknown condition who has been stranded for 2 days. He is injured but the extent of the injuries is unknown. you have no radio communication, only your scouter riding with you. locate and bring home the victim.

we had to use the UTV to trudge through unbelievable terrain, at one point we had to drive through a small pond with water up to the seat. we could not stop or get stuck or else we failed and had to restart. along the way we had to observe and report (on a piece of paper) items which were planted in the woods that would lead us to believe we were on the right path of finding the victim. Then, the instructor appeared out of no where and blindfolded me. could not see a thing. i was not allowed to take it off at any point and could only listen to my scouters directions to maneuver through the terrain. i had to do this for ten minutes.

we ended up finding the victim who turned out to be critically injured, he was unconscious but breathing, compound Right humerus fracture, dehydration, and possible hip and back fracture. we had to do a complete tactical field EMT assessment and treatment to stabilize the patient the best we could before transport.

well my partner and i passed along with the other 5 members of our EMS special ops team. turns out the instructors are ex marines special forces who are still deployed in the tri-state region to conduct search and rescue missions when all efforts are exhausted. basically they are as real as it gets. sorry for the long post i am just still on a complete adrenaline rush!

ill get pictures up ASAP:cool: