URGENT HELP Needed!! VSS WIRE HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek F

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some urgent help here, I got my truck dash apart trying to install a Jet Performance Accu-Speed module. Been working on it all day, but I'm stuck.

I searched for hours through old posts and archives and copy/pasted everything I could find in regards to the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire and where it is located to tap into. The biggest majority of the old posts said that the VSS wire was a grey wire with a black stripe, and could be found in the dash behind the stereo in a bundle of wires on the drivers side.

I found the wire and got it seperated out no problem. Grey wire, black stripe behind the radio on the drivers side in a bundle.

The Accu-Speed module goes in line on this wire. You cut the VSS wire and wire the module in line so you can use the module to adjust the speedo. All went well, I tapped a fuse in the block for power, installed a good ground, and connected up the module. I went out and drove the truck everything worked fine the speedo works all is good.

Out of curiosity to make sure it was all working as it should be, I pulled over shut off the truck and unplugged one of the in line connectors to the vss wire to see if the speedo would stop working. It is my understanding that it should. It didn't, speedo still works. SO I pulled back over and unplugged the Accu-speed completely, and the power connection. This left the VSS wire cut and connected to nothing not even itself. I drove it, same thing, speedo still works. Am I missing something??

Am I connected to the WRONG wire??? ALL the old posts I read said grey & black and in this position, it was the only one there. What do I do??? I got my truck apart in the drive way and I have an appt tomorrow morning for an alignment! I got to get this thing back together!!! Preferably with the accu-speed connected and working!

If any one is around and can help, please don't hesitate, you can email me your phone number and I will call you if it would make it easier!!

Here is a picture of the wire I tapped:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks G.Grimes.

Im kinda stumped. I cut this wire in two, and the speedo still worked. It was my understanding that this should have disabled the speedometer from working.

I put it all back together after reconnecting this wire and test drove it, the speedo was still working. I need to get this figured out though!

The VSS wire does more than just send a signal to the speedo. Where you cut the wire is past the feed for the speedo, so it still works fine. The wire you cut probably feeds the overhead console and or the signal to the PCM (computer), the computer will ignore the VSS signal if it does not make sense (disconnected). I would reconnect it to prevent other systems from malfunctioning.

Zeke

Zeke, it is reconnected. IF that is the case where would I need to cut the wire for my inline splice for the Accu-Speed module?

Derek

Thats a little harder to answer, the main wire from the PCM goes from the PCM to connector C110 in the engine compartment. That is a 42 pin black connector on the drivers side of the engine compartment. From that connector, it goes to a splice again in the engine compartment where it splits into two feeds. one that goes to connector C146, a 40 pin grey connector that is located on the fire wall at the drivers side. From there it splits at a splice behind the instrument cluster.The connector at the gauge cluster that contains the feed to the speedo is C220b a black 12 pin connector. The pin location is #1.

All this info is from a 2003 diagram, should be the same for your 2002

Zeke

Thanks for the info Zeke! I just made a call to the tech support line at Jet Performance, the tech told me for the sport trac, I need to tap into the line that runs to the ABS Control. He said it should be a grey wire with a black strip that goes to Pin # 19 on the ABS Harness.

I went and looked at the ABS control, and see the harness, but there isn't much wire to work with. I will have to figure out something to get access to the wire and splice into it.

Thanks again though!