UPS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave King 2

Reaction score
I cant believe they did this. I had a gun shop take my DPMS Panther AP4, 308 back to their shop from a gun show for some work. This is about 150 miles from my home. After some time I called to see how things were going. They said it was finished, but would not be in my area for another show until fall. I said I wanted the gun before that and they said no problem, we will ship it to your home no charge. We will call before shipping and confirm someone will be home because it has to be shipped next day express or next day air. I said ok, sounds good to me. Four days latter I come home from work and this gun shaped box is leaning on my front door. WTF. No phone call and a $1k+ gun with a 350.00 Eotech on it + some other goodies standing on my front porch for half a day. No one signed for it. I got everything back in good shape and was happy with the service, but I cant believe UPS would leave a firearm on someones front porch for anyone driving by to see. I know someone could be in trouble with the BATF on this. End of rant.

So... why are you upset with UPS and not the shipper? They didn't do what they promised. And were the packages actually visible from the street or would someone have to walk onto your property to see the items?

Package was very visible from the street. I could see it about two houses down from mine. Maybe it was the shippers fault if they didn't let UPS know it was a firearm, or maybe UPS was in a hurry. It's over now and I got my package. Just freaked me out when I came home from work and saw it on my front porch.

UPS doesn't require a signature without the shipper opting for one. I learned the hard way with a FedEx package containing PIAA 510s that I sent to a member here.

That is true on a firearm purchase, but it is legal to ship a firearm to a dealer for work or repair and legal for them to ship it back to the owner.

I believe only if it is a handgun, it has to be then shipped to a licensed gun dealer first. That may only be Florida which allows that, it just seems I remember a friend of mine saying that he recieved a rifle via UPS.

I work for Fedex and I hear this all the time. The shipper has to specify that, first, it is a firearm, and second, they want a signature. Where the package is left is not UPS's fault either. Where is the delivery guy suppose to put the package? It isnt his responsibility to hide a package...any package, around your house so it can not be seen. You can most likely put a signature request on file so that any and all packages coming to your address require a signature....and vice versa....you can have a signature release on file so that any and all packages can be left when you arent home....mostly done at houses that are out in the country not close to the delivery stations.

If you knew this firearm was coming, the shipper should have put a hold on it so you had to come to the UPS hub and sign/ pick up, especially since it seems you do not have a safe out of view spot for packages to be left.

.you can have a signature release on file so that any and all packages can be left when you arent home

Unless this is a recent policy change, everytime I have a "signiture required package", the shipper always requires it.

...this gun shaped box is leaning on my front door

Just curious--how "gun-shaped" are we talking? If you just mean that it's about three feet long by about 6 inches square--or any rectangular shape, for that matter--I'm not sure anyone who didn't know you were expecting the arrival of a gun would have thought that's what it was. (Unless there's a picture on the outside or something like that...)

If you give the local UPS Hub your tracking number, they will hold the package for you to pick up.

I do it on everything as I have a rural address..

Just curious--how "gun-shaped" are we talking?

This gun shaped.

8907e100cbc30a3d212898bca4102bfe.jpg

Les, it is called a signature release. All you need is a short, handwritten, signed note saying you authorize Fedex to leave packages when a signature is required. Give it to your delivery man and he will take it back and have it electronically set for your address. It is put into our system so if and when a signature is required, the delivery man's tracker tells him it is ok to leave because of the release.

It was a four foot rectangular box by about four inches deep. No markings. The average person would not asume a firearm was inside. If the shipper didn't request it be signed for or UPS screwed up doesn't matter much at this point. Everything turned out ok and I am over it. Just had to rant and get it out of my system. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts