UPS Box?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a remote box to cache my mail for me, and since a PO box is sadly useless, I was looking at a UPS box.

UPS, however, doesn't provide much info on its site for these.

Besides cost, my most important question is what happens if you get something shipped to your box that is larger than the box?

Does anyone here have any experience with these?

"since a PO box is sadly useless"

curious as to why a po box is useless.

i have no knowledge of a ups box, are they similar or provide different services?.

The advantage of a UPS box is you'll have a more business like address, such as 123 main street, suite 100, as opposed to a P.O. Box 123....Some places will not ship to a P.O. Box.

If you get an oversized box, the hours of a UPS store are better than a post office as well.

The cost will be more than a post office box, but it may be worth it...

Kevin,

I have one. Another advantage is that when you receive a package, they will either send you an e-mail or text message (depending on what you give them) advising you that it has arrived. You can also get from them a key to the front door giving you access to your box 24/7. A large box will only serve you if you get a lot of mail. Packages will be kept behind the counter. Also UPS, DHL & Fedex will deliver to there so you can divert all your mail there.

I have had one now for 5 years (at different locations in different states) with no issues. As a UPS box customer, you also get 10% discount on your shipping & packing needs.

I have a small box for business & pay $180/year. But if you break it down that's $15 a month for a very good service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good, I'll have to go over to my local UPS store.

Gary, IMO the PO box is useless because most all shippers I use refuse to send to PO boxes.

Thanks for the info.

What's the problem of using a PO Box for all regular mail and if you have something shipped that will not be delivered to a PO Box, just have them ship it to your residence (house or apartment)...Of course if you live in an area where people will steal your packages, then you might consider moving..:grin: or have the package shipped to a relative who lives in a less crime ridden neighborhood.

I have never had a package stolen in my neighborhood, but I have had UPS deliver numerous packages for me to other houses. Not just next door, but the other end of the street and on a completely different street? I'm not sure who is worse, UPS or USPS?

...Richard

if you have something shipped that will not be delivered to a PO Box, just have them ship it to your residence (house or apartment)

This is the entire reason I want the UPS box. To avoid getting stuff sent to my house. If using my porch were a viable option I wouldn't be asking for a box.

Most of my packages I have to sign for, so if I don't meet the UPS man, they go to UPS HQ :( I'm not always home, and I used to work for UPS, so I've seen enough of it.

This could solve that.

I'm only mildly concerned with theft/people opening my stuff.

Some of my relatives & friends have PO boxes and hate them, though that's due to the heinous service of local post offices, one of which I would use for plan PO box.

USPS is worse. They bankrupted themselves, and have a stereotype for horrible service that spans generations. The only thing worse than a line at the post office is a line at the DMV. USPS' tracking system is inferior, it tells you that an item shipped and arrived, it lists no intermediate locations. UPS has dropped the ball before, but USPS repeatedly kicks it into the opposing team's goal.

Also, there's some fraternity as I did make some nice $$ from UPS back in the day.

Finally, I have just checked, and none of the places I order from regularly will ship to PO boxes. This includes even big names like Amazon.com.

UPS is perfect for what you want.

They will sign for it & you are not a slave waiting for the delivery.

That is why I use them in my business. I get a lot of documents which need signature & I am not always there to sign for it. The UPS store sends me a text message & I know to stop in on my way back for the packages!

They also haven't raise the rates in 5 years.

KL,

Most of my packages I have to sign for, so if I don't meet the UPS man, they go to UPS HQ :( I'm not always home, and I used to work for UPS, so I've seen enough of it.

This could solve that.

Not sure how this solves the problem? Since you never really stated what the problem was?

I don't know about UPS Boxes, but, it appears that a UPS box means you don't have to sign for the package, but you still have to go pick up the package? Also, what if someon send you something FedEx or USPS that you have to sign for...Do they accept UPS's signature?

If you are not that concerned about theft of your packages delivered to your front porch, and you have to sign for the delivery, you can do what I do... I put a note on my door to the UPS delivery person with the tracking number and my full name, etc and state that this note is my authorization to leave the package at the front door. That has always worked just fine for me. The problem here in Waco, TX is that the UPS Pickup office has such weird hours (4pm-7pm) it is not very convenient for people to pick up their packages at those times.

I personally am not a big fan of UPS. I tried them when I first started my LeverLift Company and they managed to really screw-up half of my first two weeks of shipments. I switched to USPS Priority Mail and it was cheaper, Faster, and much more reliable. I only had one order delayed in 5 years with USPS and that is after over a thousand shipments.

The lines at the local post office here are not any worse than the lines at the local UPS center, and the UPS stores are not that convenient either. USPS consistently delivered my Priority mail packages in 3 days including deliveries to Hawaii, including shiping and delivery on Saturdays, and only charged about half of what UPS charged for 5-7 ground deliver.

The reason USPS is bankrupt is because they are not charging enough money for maile and parcel deliver services....especially regular mail. They are giving big price breaks on Bulk Rates for Junk mail. If they got rid of the Bulk Rates, they could cut their mail load in half and would not need as much manpower to process mail.

Again, Just my opinion and you are free to use any parcel delivery method you prefer.

...Rich

Of course if you live in an area where people will steal your packages, then you might consider moving..
Or if you packages look like this....

9c02ffca1e589fa43d8c02e1267abc03.jpg

Clusterpup,

:bwahaha: Now that's funny...:bwahaha:

Is that being sent to or from Iraq, Pakistan or Afgahnistan? That may qualify it for the Bulk Rate as long asy you presort and use the correct zip code or cave number?

...Rich

Latest posts