Upgrading the rear end to 4.10's

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
I am planning on upgrading the rear gears to 4.10's. A shop in town says they will do the labor for $200. Can anybody tell me of a prefered brand (Ford Racing?) model number and slpine number our Gen 2's take. I know its an 8.8 IRS but thats it. I was also told to buy the oil (Royal Purple for SUV's) and an installation kit. Anything else you guys can think of.

Since you have the 6speed tranny. I would go 4.56 or 4.80. You have 3.48 now. If you are really wanting the grunt. Move up at least one whole number. Dont forget to flash your computer.

I dont think you can go with a locker or limited slip.. you have the traction control system. They wont work well together.

I would shop for price at any major gear distrubtor. I have bought ford racing in the past. My last change over. The 'stang in my library I went with richmond gears.

$200for labor is a good price for labor. As long as they know how to set up the lash and tolerence, properly. I usually paid $300.

The STA came with 3.55's and everyone I know has been recommending 4.10's to maintain good drivability. I don't want to burn rubber at every red light and my wife drives it every once in a while.

I dont think you will notice any difference. That is only .55 ratio change. With the 6 speed auto 4.56 wont hurt mpg in 6th. Any more than 4.10 will. I wouldnt waste my $$ on a .55 change.

When I said more grunt. I wasnt meaning rubber burning grunt. I meant to actualy feel the torque in lower gears.

The times I made less than a 1 ratio change, is. When I had a 4 or 5 speed close ratio standard. With at least a 2.20 first gear and 26" diameter tires.

A shop doing it for $200 is a screaming deal. Jump on it. A 2004 Explorer factory limited-slip will fit, also if Detroit's website is to be believed they have a True Trac that is supposed to fit.

Latest posts