upgrading my 01 to an 07 V8 wondering what to look for

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at a couple 07's V8 4WD & wanted to see if anyone had anyrecomendations of what kind of warning signs I should look for before buying. I want the extra towing capacity of the V8 and was always a lttle dissapointed that my 01 wasnt a 4x4. I've put 110k on her in the last 4 yrs and she's been a beuty when it comes to reliabilty& fun! Havent decided weather to sell or find a way to keep both!

thanks - Jim

If you want it for towing, be sure to get the larger hitch. They are real expensive to upgrade later. The earlier ones have the fixed rear window only so if that is an issue, be sure you get a later '07. Tranny bump can be an issue if it hasn't had the last TSB. After the last one mine is acceptable. My front windshield fogs up really easy so, if iI had it to do over, I'd get the windshield with the built in electronic defrost...I thought it was silly at the time. The light cloth interior sucks in a truck so I'd try to get leather. I really like the FORD hard cover and would be sure that the new truck had one and the FORD bed mat is the best accessory out there. When you get your new ST, buy a Todd Z modded throttle body...it's a good ad-on IMO!

'07 ST

agree with 07 ST.

for sure get a v-8. in 07 you could not get the heated windshield if you have nav.

make sure the tranny bump is repaired or non-existent.

you will enjoy a completely diff ride from your gen 1

thanks for the advice. I wondered about the hitch, one of the pics looks like a class II, & that just doesnt make sense with a V8. and yes, definately looking forward to the Independent Rear Susp!

If you are looking at a v8, check the exhaust manifold studs. They often break and are very expensive to fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hitch, as mentioned above, is literally part of the vehicle. As in,,, part of the frame.

So do get the Class III hitch at the time you buy it as there is no way to unbolt and replace it if you get the Class II hitch..

Latest posts