Update on the #5 fuse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Butler

Reaction score
Got the steering column cover off and inspected the wiring and found no signs of frayed /exposed wires. I at least unplugged the connecters and plugged them back in to ensure a firm connection. With the semi frying of electronics that happened a short time back, the only thing that doesnt work now is the lights powering the cluster unit, as I tried a bigger fuse just to see what would happen. I can live with that as the light switch is easy to replace. Oh yes, the fuse is no longer blowing (Back to the 15a fuse). Got my fingers crossed. :banana:

Thank you to all of those who helped as I cannot appreciate enough how great this community is! :supercool:

Not sure what the cluster unit you refer to is. Your profile says yours is an '04, while mine is an '02. My instrument panel has an old school mileage dial while I think yours may have the newer LED mileage display. Is that the unit you are referring to? if so. that might be where the short was and finally just opened the circuit when it overheated.

Next time you feel like digging into it, I would suggest removing the instrument panel to take a close look at the unit to see if you can visually see anything that looks burnt. I don't know what the smallest replaceable component of that assembly is, or what it's cost might be.

Yep I have the 04 with the LED panel for mileage. Cluster works fine other than it wont light up now. Bought it used because my original one was tweaking out. I'll probably dig into it again this weekend and see what I can't find. Thanks :driving: