Until Death Do Us Part

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Corn

Reaction score
Took the Sport Track to a massive multi state traveling off road all weekend event here in Amarillo this weekend. People from all around the quad state area come every year, brining daily drivers, bikes, quads, side by sides, all the way up to massive mud trucks. It was truly a blast, and I'm happy to report how well the sport track hung out!

Water about two feet deep. Mud about the same. Hundreds and hundreds of trucks all hitting everything out there and I was right there with the. I knew I loved this thing for a reason! Haven't used 4 Low much but wow its torquey in the mud pits!

Just wanted to share the adventure and my reassurance of keeping this thing until death do us part!

Now to try to get some more height out of it for next year. . . :)

If you plan on keep playing in the mud there's some things you'll definitely want to do to prolong the life of your Trac.

Snorkel: homemade is the only option but worth it.

Extended breather tubes on both rearends, t-case and especially trans: upto the windshield/ top of bedside- filler cap.

Extra hub bearing assemblies: these are non serviceable and mud/ water will find its way in and destroy them.

Grease able ujoints, balljoints and tie rod ends: same reason as hubs, mud/ duty water+ grease= destroyed parts.

Extra belt pulleys and tensioner: again mud/ water destroys these.

Main thing is to power wash the complete undercarriage shortly after every mud trip, the longer you leave the cool looking mud on (especially under) your rig the more chances you'll be spending more money than you want replacing parts.

I speak from a lot of experience and just want to save the next person from repeating my mistakes. I used to go muddin', not anymore. I'll go through mud Boggs or deep mud if it's on the trail and there's no other way around it but if I can avoid it I do. Plus trying to work on it either at camp, on the trail or at home is a huge PITA. :banana::haveabeer:

I have seen some of your troubles mentioned already in just going out to that part of the counrty during non-events.

Changed the idler pulley and tensioer lsat year and have extra tensier pulley on hand.

Alternator was wasted, original, but have lifetime warranty on new one.

Changed all ball joints and tie rod ends last year and put greasable on all I could, all but I i believe because I changed the whole control arm and one in it didn't have it.

Installed greasable sway bar bushings.

Haven't messed with the vent tubes, but installed PML covers on trans and rear differential so changing and checking fluids is a breeze now.

New hub bearings last year, TIMKEN on both sides.

Rancho 9000's all 4 corners with new extended Energy Suspension endlinks with carbon bushings, and 33" Destination AT's all around as well.

I looked into the snorkel and was disapointed to find out there was only the homemade option, but don't have a paper filter that can get ruined at least.

I usually "wash" it off in the river before taking it back on the road to get the most off.

I'll look into the vent tubes for sure, I know the front one is only halfway up the engine bay, but the rear is up between bed and cab no?

Seems like we think a like on much!:haveabeer: I appreciate your input!

Latest posts