Universal Joint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
How difficult is it to replace universal joints? I've been hearing a "tink" every once in a while when I put the transmission in gear (automatic). I'd like to do it myself, if possible. BTW, I have a 2001 Ford Ranger, not a Sport Trac. Most of the Ranger forums seem to be inhabited by younger folk with jacked up trucks!

Hi Dennis,

Most auto parts stores will "rent" the tool for this. Basically you give them a check, cash, or credit card for the tool or deposit, and they will refund the cost of the tool or deposit when you return it. I have used a vise as Chad mentioned, and it can certainly be done that way, but I found this to be easier. Harbor Freight has the kit for under $50 if you wanted to just buy it, link below so you can see what it looks like.

This reminds me that I need to do this on my ST too!

Dave

Use a ball peen hammer or small sledge as noted above. Hammers such as carpenters hammers can be dangerous as the heads of the hammer are not designed to hit metal. Also, they don't carry the weight to do the "push" work that ball peen hammers have.

If they have never been changed, they will be held in place with a wax or wax/fiberglass mix. If this is the case, if you put some heat on the end area where the joints are, the material will soften up and ease in replacement.

You will need to clean out the ring area as you will now be using snap clip to hold the joint in place, (assuming it is the external ring style). There are some that use an inner ring clip as well...

what kind of intake should i get?

should i get an exhaust?

dingo, your the best !!

should i lift my trac?

todd, where are you?

Ask Caymen / Tom already people!!!

He'll have a PERFECT answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q out...

Thanks! Is this a major procedure? Do you have to take the drive shaft out? If you do, is it difficult to get out and put back in? I imagine it is a 2 man job.

Driveshaft needs to come out. If you are not afraid of replacing the u joints then removing the drivesahft should be a no brainer..

I'm not afraid of replacing the joints. Just seems like it would be difficult to remove the driveshaft. I wish someone had posted a Project!!!:grin:

Removing the drive shaft is just 4 bolts per side and the shaft is not heavy at all. There are some picture tutorials on explorerforum. You need to take a look before you do it because you must make some marks at connectionm points so you put it back the same way you removed it so it doesnt get out of balance. The driveshaft is the easy part. Removing the old ball joints can be a pain in the ass though. Get a loaner tool from the auto parts store, its called a ball joint/ujoint press. Use your finger to put extra grease on the bearings of the new joints so that the pins stay in place better when you are pressing the joints back in. You should buy a haynes workbook for your truck or better yet the Ford shop manual, I have both, the Ford manual is much better and way worth the $50 it cost me. You can get them used on ebay.